Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 08:32 AM

Default Re: What to do when the table makes no sense.

dont tighten up, act loose, act like you're one of them but dont make the same HUGE mistakes

you mentioned HSP; Phil Laak is the perfect example
Old 09-15-2007, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I know it has been said many times before but its usually beneficial to play opposite of how the table is playing. If its tight, play looser, if its loose, play tighter, just think about it a little bit and I think it will make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Station is right. You have to alter your play based on the way the table is playing. My normal bring in raise in 1/2NL is 10-12. The game I was playing in last friday was so weak/tight that I was making smaller, more frequent raises, picking up a lot of small pots. The game I was in on Sunday was so loose/passive that I was raising AA/KK UTG to $30-$40, and still getting called in 2-4 spots.

All about table dynamics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, TheStation is dead wrong. The more hands your opponents play, the more hands you can profitably play. Tightening up will still be profitable and have less variance but it won't maximise profit.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any strategies that anyone want to share about sitting at a wild table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

1) Try and ONLY play at these tables.
2) anticipate large swings.
3) never leave.
4) loosen up and hit the gas.
5) NEVER be single event focused. One winning donk play begets 10 losing donk plays so stay in the game.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:33 AM

In all fairness to the original poster, this question is quite obviously geared towards live club play, it essentially says so in the original post. No problem with this being in the B+M section.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Capone, the issue comes that when people play without strategy then yes, you can make good $ but it can also throw one off of their game when they start catching bs hands. For ex, a few times I would look down with AK, AQ or A10 for ex. Make a basic raise, get called and then the flop would come rags and the donk would lead out. But the fact is, they are playing trash so if i don't hit the board, I have to get out. It is easy if I was catching the cards, but when you are not then you have to take the temp of the table.
I guess I am thinking whether I should have pushed back harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should be paid a million bucks for this advice. LOL.
LOOK. They are playing hit to win. They will tell you when they hit, becasue they will bet. They will tell you when they have a draw, because they will call. So do yourself a favor and throw AK and AQ in the muck when its behind on a board that no one could have hit. He hit it. How do we know? Because he bet. Thats what happens when you play 85/0/0: sometimes your 4d7d hits two pair. And when it does, whose the sucker --the guy with two pair or the guy chasing him with A high?

So what to do? Jack it up preflop with the goods.Don't be shy. But fold if things go poorly. They are only temporarily holding your money, anyway.
Limp with speculative hands. Suited connectors are gold if cheap. Felted a guy yesterday with 32s (which I limped for one bet 5 way) He has AA and LIMPED I hit full house on flop big bet call turn blank big bet call on river I push he calls UNIMPROVED with AA. He pisses and moans about me playing 32 but I ask you: We had been playing for 5 hours. This is my first push. WTF do you think I have?
My point is that play ABC poker but realize that the implied odds can be fantastic in these games. Oh and by the way, if he jacks it up preflop -- that 32 is in the muck where it rightfully belongs.

I play a lot live and I'm convinced that the real donks are the guys who can't adjust to super-loose, 6 way action. It doesn't get any easier. Really.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:30 AM

I used to suck at NL.

Now, thanks to your post, I think I will do a whole lot better.

As a limit player playing NL I always continue bet and/or call rag flops with my AK, AQ, AJ hands... Sometimes I bluff at missed turns as well... Now I have seen the light (and it is red).
Old 09-18-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any strategies that anyone want to share about sitting at a wild table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Strategy #1 - this thread belongs in the beginers forum.

Strategy #2 - It has nothing to do with B&M topics. The table in question could easilly be an online table instead of a live table

Strategy #3 - I'm surprised with those of you who are B&M forum regulars, usually RR and I get notified about threads like this one so we can move them to the right forum. So sad [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

So rather than just quietly move the thread you feel is so inappropriate, you post two "strategies" criticizing the OP and one "strategy" criticizing everybody else?

Your [sic] being ridiculous. Do you see why?