Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Ax in the BB

Say a TAG opens early position, a LAG or fish cold calls late position, and you're sitting with Ax offsuit in the big blind. Which aces hit the muck? Also, AJo, 3 ball or just call. If a Lag opens and a cold call, how much does this affect your range?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Ax in the BB

AJo i just call since its an EP raise i think, id 3bet if it was hijack or CO raise and CO button or small blind cold call.

i muck A2-A6 here if TAG opens UTG and probably call any ace (even though I know I shouldnt probably) if a Lag opens in the hijack and someone cold calls.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:10 PM

I would call ATo, AJo. Reraise AQo, AKo. Fold anything less. Vs a LAG I might 3bet AJo depending how loose and aggressive he is.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:43 PM

Against an EP TAG raise, there's probably not much tangible difference between A8o and A2o. Obviously, it being 3-handed somewhat complicates things. With the LAG in, I think if you'd play A7o, you should (in theory) play A2o since he'd likely re-raise most decent/good As at least. Regarding the fish, it depends how fishy. If he's coming in with 57o and crap like that, I'd probably play any A from the BB.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:56 PM

So people actually fold ATo-A8o for 1 bet in the BB? I don't think I've ever done this... I guess if I can fold tp ace later on in the hand on a dryish board, there wasnt much point playing it to begin with.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:01 PM

Wow! I've been playing ALL Ax at ALL times for one more bet out of the BB. Are you guys saying that this is almost certainly a leak? I need to go meditate on that Apanage tight BB idea some more, I guess.

-Brass
Old 03-08-2007, 09:20 PM

I would muck A8o and worse. I'd play any suited ace. With A9o, I would make a decision based on whim.

I personally wouldn't 3-bet with anything less than AKo or AQs in this particular situation unless I was feeling tilty (with the LAG in the hand, we're usually going to need to make the best hand to win, so posturing and hoping to win with ATo UI vs. AJo UI doesn't have so much value here), so it's good for me that the TAG doesn't have a good enough read on me to know that.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:40 PM

hrmm, I've been trying to loosen up in the blind heads up and tighten up multiway.. I think I haven't been caring enough about the difference.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:01 PM

I probably draw the line at A8o. Call A8o, dump A7o. There is a reasonable difference between those two.