Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Talk me out of this

So for the last two and a half months I've been playing 25NL under rolled.

September 1st I moved up to 25NL. At that time my roll was $250.00. I knew I was under rolled, but I had been running so well at 10NL I felt like I could give 25NL a shot. I promised myself that if I lost too much I'd drop back down to 10NL.

Well, by the end of the month I had lost some, but I decided it wasn't "too much" and I kept playing. For nearly all of October my results were sideways, neither trending up or down. Finally, toward the end of the month, I started winning again at a decent clip. Earlier this week my BR hit $500.00.

I know, right now you're all yelling "BBV!!" at your monitors, but I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am. Anyway, this is the part I want help with:

Most of you are familar with Cardrunners. They allow Stars players to pre-pay 6 months of their service via user to user cash transfer. And if you pay this way rather than by the month with a credit card, they are hard and fast about getting 6 months up front.

Six months subscription plus the sign up fee is $250.00. Half of my total BR.

I had decided months ago that when my BR hit $500.00 I was going to withdraw half and buy Cardrunners. Sure, I'll be under rolled, but I was under rolled when I moved to 25NL, and other than an initial down swing I'm beating that level.

I figure Caby & the Boys can only help my game.

I'm just wondering if any of you guys think this might be a bad idea?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Talk me out of this

Not that I think Cardrunners wouldn't help your game, but if your beating the nl25 at a good clip why would you think you need this at this point? Besides, don't they mostly deal in 6-max? If you you lose 4 or 5 buy-in's (realistic) do you really want to go back to NL10?

If its something you really want go for it. I'm in the same spot as you. I was able to deposit $50.00 once and I've played enough of the lower limits to know I don't really want to grind them anymore. Meh, I couldn't do something that might set my bank roll back that far.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 PM

It's a simple business decision for you IMO. Revenue is what you're there for but expenses are either a necessity or an option. This one sounds like an optional expense and since your revenues are so low, I'd recommend that you win your way up to $750 then do it. You'll be fully rolled for $25NL and will have proven to yourself and everyone that you can beat the level that you're on. My .02
Old 11-13-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a simple business decision for you IMO. Revenue is what you're there for but expenses are either a necessity or an option. This one sounds like an optional expense and since your revenues are so low, I'd recommend that you win your way up to $750 then do it. You'll be fully rolled for $25NL and will have proven to yourself and everyone that you can beat the level that you're on. My .02

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. hyper unnecessary. esp being that CR is generally for 6max players, and pertains to a higher level game that will generally do very little good for your level.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:37 PM

Yea this would be dumb.

Don't do it. I barely use my CR subscriptions.

I would buy it for 50nl when you have 30+ buyins for that level, because it will most definitely help your game because even though it is 6m, the discussions will help you understand the game.

Do not decimate your roll for whatever reason if you can avoid it. $500 is barely enough to play 25nl on, and I just lost $4k playing 400nl, so I know what 10 buyins amounts to(3 days in my book.)
Old 11-14-2007, 12:13 AM

I agree. Don't do it. Is it worth raising your risk of ruin to 25-50%? I mean, you can get by with 10BI, if you run hot right out of the gate, but can get cold decked and knocked back down to NL10, where you shouldn't spend any more time if you're already beating NL25.

That said, and not wanting to start a seperate thread, is it worth getting Cardrunners to help me move from NL50 to NL100? I've been thinking about playing a fair mix of 6-max, too, to work on my blind play, etc. I have a pretty modest win rate at NL50 and definitely some holes in my game, but the bankroll's fine. I watched skydancing8's, bottomset's, and splitsuit's videos and found them helpful (thanks, guys). Are the cardrunner videos similar? (presumably less cursing than SS's but w/e)
Old 11-14-2007, 12:23 AM

Here is what I did...I took $14 and bought two low limit full ring videos...and bottomsets were as much value to me as they were. I agree wait until at least 50-100NL to purchase a full subscription.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:51 AM

don't
Old 11-14-2007, 01:33 AM

dont do it. there is a huge supply of FR videos here on 2+2. just watch them as most are good and will help you. you dont need CR to beat 25 NL. Now that you have a sufficient BR for 25NL, grind it out.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:35 AM

Should I buy them as a player who is breakeven at NL200, but with a roll that can afford it?