Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 08-10-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: WSOP on ESPN thread (8/7) ($3,000 NL)

one phil played this tournement well... and it wasnt helmuth
Old 08-10-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did she telegraph how weak here K8 was preflop...she basically picked up the chips and slammed them on the table?

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you for mentioning this.. didn't see anyone else bring this up. one of the more blatant strong means weak tells. and yes, granted, i could see the cards, but i'm 100% sure between that and the size of the reraise, i'd have known she didn't have a particularly strong hand.

so obviously i don't fault shankar for not folding the A8s. and i think he's a good player, but i expected him to jam it pre-flop as well. can anyone justify the call when beth has ideal conditions for a go-and-go and shankar will usually miss?
Old 08-10-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ya she apparently telegraphed it pretty bad, i dont think they edited it, but im only going from what ive heard.. i think stacks were like 160, 500, 505.. i remember i have 424k if i fold, 680k if i beat beth and lose to phil, 1.24 million or somewhere around there if i scoop..

dunno why i didnt pay attention to her, my initial thought when she went all in was "yes!" when phil shoved it was "he has aces" i usually stick with my initial read and didnt bother to double check it v her.. sometimes kings come out too

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop talking as if you even know how to calculate pot odds, let alone do simple addition. I played you on the party poker cruise and you didnt lay down t7 os to my four bet all in for 2k extra in a 10-20 game. You most probably would have called all in with your kings at the river if both helmuth and the chick had shown u their aces.

And LOL at you having to make the call with 74 os. Anyway people like me should be grateful for people like you because otherwise we wouldnt be so far to the right of Hernstein and Murray's bell curve.

So i am not going to flame you anymore.... donk

[/ QUOTE ]

pwned
Old 08-11-2007, 12:40 AM

I was there when they filmed it, and leading up to the final hand it seemed like both players were kinda tired and getting impatient. Shankar might have been a little steamy when he made that call, but he was very excited when he saw Beth's hand, even moreso than it looked on TV. Beth had also been playing very aggressively from the time they were 4-handed as well; frankly I think she outplayed the table for the most part, except for a few badly timed shoves that ultimately cost her the match. TV did not do her justice.

And I never believed it before, but I swear the TV editing really did make Phil look like much more of a jerk than he really was. He seemed to be much more of a good-humored showman when the event was actually playing out. On TV, he looked like a whiny, bitter, jerk. That definitely did not seem like the case while I was there, even though he certainly did get frustrated at times.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:03 AM

How is the Aces/Aces/Kings hand not being discussed more?

Beth Shak probably gave off THE worst tell I have ever seen and Brett Richey still made a -$200000 EV decision. She High-fives an all-in player and says she went all-in in a quarter of a second. AND then shes dancing 2 feet from the table.

How does Brett not notice her?

And I want to mention that Phil made a great play basically telling everyone in the room he had aces, because he wants Richey to fold any 2 since he's already got all the monies in for the main pot.

Seriously has to be the most amazing pre-flop poker hand ever.

PS I might have been a little harsh on Brett, but I think it might have been karma. With 140 left in that tourney I busted an almost 20 BB stack in 2 back-to-back hands, with 75o each time(showed down preflop both times). When I show on the 2nd hand, Brett Richey chimes in with "75 again?"
Old 08-11-2007, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was there when they filmed it, and leading up to the final hand it seemed like both players were kinda tired and getting impatient. Shankar might have been a little steamy when he made that call, but he was very excited when he saw Beth's hand, even moreso than it looked on TV. Beth had also been playing very aggressively from the time they were 4-handed as well; frankly I think she outplayed the table for the most part, except for a few badly timed shoves that ultimately cost her the match. TV did not do her justice.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, this may all be true and could be some justification for the last hand, but you have to admit the way the hand went down was really pathetic on Shak's part. Here they are almost 70BB deep with M's over 30. She's in the BB heads-up which is basically the most powerful position you can be in (you have position pre and post flop, you get good odds to call most raises, etc). Now she looks down at K8o with a raise to her and she decides to manuever the hand to play for STACKS?? K8o is not the worst hand HU, but it just rates so terribly with the action in the hand. She is clearly used to very low M end-games and Shankar adjusted extremely well to her (although pushing over her 3-bet was probably the best play).
Old 08-11-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With 140 left in that tourney I busted an almost 20 BB stack in 2 back-to-back hands, with 75o each time(showed down preflop both times). When I show on the 2nd hand, Brett Richey chimes in with "75 again?"

[/ QUOTE ]

how dare you play weak starting hands at my table
Old 08-11-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And I want to mention that Phil made a great play basically telling everyone in the room he had aces, because he wants Richey to fold any 2 since he's already got all the monies in for the main pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but i seriously doubt that Phil was thinking on that level when he made his little post-shove speech.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:25 PM

Phil's a fool. It annoys me soooo much how every tournament he has to make up some crap about folding his blinds as some sort of setup. He should just admit that he's a weak-tight ninny who can't play bad hands post flop and THAT is why everyone steals his blinds.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:52 PM

Wasn't Phil raising UTG with horrible hands, like J2? Obviously with how ESPN has to select hands to show, we don't know how often this occurred, but I would think raising UTG is always a risky bet.