Knocked Up
Ratatouille

The Average to below Average

Transformers
Spidey 3

The Awful

FF4 Silver Surfer
POTC 3

Currently watching Bourne Supremacy....can't [censored] wait for Bourne 3.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Re: ARRGHHH

Wait a minute...there is a "Rush Hour 3" coming out?

I still haven't seen 1 & 2 yet. Don't these movies suck?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw A Mighty Heart, starring Angelina Jolie last night, which is the story about Daniel Pearl the WSJ journalist who was kidnapped in Pakistan back in 2002. I thought it was well executed and super tense but its a really hard movie to recommend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was considering seeing this with the woman tonight - could you please elaborate on why it is hard to recommend?

Comments from anyone else would be appreciated as well.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I saw A Mighty Heart, starring Angelina Jolie last night, which is the story about Daniel Pearl the WSJ journalist who was kidnapped in Pakistan back in 2002. I thought it was well executed and super tense but its a really hard movie to recommend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was considering seeing this with the woman tonight - could you please elaborate on why it is hard to recommend?

Comments from anyone else would be appreciated as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The movie is a lot more Tom Clancyish that it is a relationship movie. The movie starts with the kidnapping and ends with his death. The entire movie is basically his wife working with the Pakistani's and the WSJ to track down her missing husband, tracing cell numbers and kicking down doors.
The fact that going in you know how it is going to end only makes it that much more difficult to watch and takes away any of the suspense. With all that said, its a really well made movie and Angelina did a great job.

I saw Talk to Me about the Washington DC DJ played by Don Cheadle this week. He did a good job but the movie was only decent.

Two "under the radar" movies that are coming out in the near future that were both excellent were Introducing the Dwight's and Death At A Funeral.

Introducing the Dwights is an Australian movie, hard to describe the plot but basically is the story of a mother (Brenda Blythn, Oscar calibre performance) who is a stand-up comic and her two sons who are in their early twenties and leaving home. Its a drama but there are funny parts, the description doesn't do it justice. I liked it a lot more than the woman I saw it with, I think because one of the major themes is a son's relationship with his mother as they each strive to live their own life.

Death at a Funeral is directed by Frank Oz and is a British comedy. Hijinx ensue at a funeral as the dead mans extended family and friends come together. I laughed a ton and it was the type of movie I would feel comfortable taking my gf or mom too.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sigh @ Fantastic Four butchering Silver Surfer, the only comic book character I really like.

"So how does this work against him?"
"Well you see, you get him here and press this button, and he loses all his powers"

WTF?

Then we have Surfer just exploding himself to kill Galactus and somehow powers of Invisibility, Stretchiness, Fire, and Medicore SuperStrength is enough to beat up someone with near infinite cosmic power.

On the bright side every one of the females in the movie are smokin hot. Jessica Alba is a given, but the random news anchor ladies, club girls, random girls in streets etc are all at least 9/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I LOL'ed at the most powerful being in the universe being killed by his own creation at 1/10000000000th of galactus's power.

Anyone have info on the following movies

1) Evan Almighty
2) Nancy Drew
3) Captivity

I'm really looking foward to sunshine this has a lot of potential I hope they dont' frak it up.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:00 PM

I don't know how anyone could not like Transformers unless they went into it with a completely closed mind.

Shia(kid from holes, next indy?) is great as Sam Witwicky, the chick is smoking, the parents and john turturro have some amazingly hilarious scenes and watching the Transformers transform and battle is fuckn sweet.

Great fun all-around, hope to see it for the third time tonight.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:11 PM

A few previews that look promising

310 to Yuma
Ghosts of Cite Soleil
Vantage Point
This is england
30 Days of Night -will probably suck, but could be cool in a 28 Days Later kinda way
Gone Baby Gone-directed by Ben Affleck?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] but the cast looks good(Omar from The Wire!!)
I am Legend -no idea about the title, but Will Smith looks like he has been living in a [censored] gym.
The Golden Compass - not normally something that would appeal to me, but this actually looks pretty cool.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:49 AM

All,

Saw Transformers last weekend. Thoughts.

The special effects were amazing. I'm pretty sure there aren't actually 18-wheelers that can transform into crazy fighting robots, but they sure looked real on the screen and not like CGI. Just awesome effects when they had such a huge chance of looking cheesy.

The chick, Megan Fox, was super hot. SUPER hot.

The hacker chick was pretty hot too.

Hacker story line was WORTHLESS and served no purpose except making the movie longer than it needed to be.

The army special forces part was also pretty much unnecessary.

And the whole "spark" part either should have been explained more or less. Seemed kinda random the level at which it got explained.

Overall, I think the movie kinda sucked, because everything that didn't involve the Transformers was so crappy. But the effects and the Transformers themselves were so awesome that I still recommend seeing this movie in the theater.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:57 PM

I am not big on going to movies that much...but saw Knocked Up recently and Live Free or Die Hard. I want to see The Simpons and new Bourne one...maybe few others but those 2 look good

Knocked up I thought was worth seeing...nothing amazing but pretty funny. Die Hard I thought was good action movie and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would going in
Old 07-21-2007, 06:44 AM

Saw Transformers tonight:

[ QUOTE ]

The chick, Megan Fox, was super hot. SUPER hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats El D, you won the award for understatement of the mother [censored] year.

As for the rest of the movie, I really [censored] liked it. Honestly, I don't know what else to say, I thought it was great. The plot was meh, but sometimes movies like this blow me away enough to disconcern me with the plot.

Somehow, I expected the dialogue to be terrible, and I found it outstanding. I thought it was witty and funny, and I really got some hard laughs out of some of the corny lines. I'm usually hard to please with things like this, but something worked about the timing of the comedy, and almost every line that was supposed to be funny hit with me on some levels.

The special effects were just sick. Like El D said, it really makes you feel like, "[censored], maybe my solara will become robot that shoots a [censored] machine gun." Somehow, it tricked me into thinking about the movie in real life- which means the effects were good, imo, since I can relate to whats on the screen and I'm not constantly thinking, "lol that dinosaur looks like it's in an entirely different frame or background."

Either way, that's my review from someone who had zero prior knowledge of the series. I'm kind of ashamed admitting I liked it as much as I did.
Closed Thread