Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Villians Who Love to Float the Flop: Theory Question

I've been playing primarily 10NL on UB. There are a few lag villains on there who love to call preflop raises in position, and then smoothcall flop c-bets a high percentage of the time.

My question is how do you guys usually handle this type of player postflop? Preflop I tighten up my opening range and increase the size of my raises.

Postflop, my inclination is to overbet the flop with the goods (and occasionally overbet bluff when I miss) in order to punish their flop mistakes. Anyone else do this? Am I way off base here?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Villians Who Love to Float the Flop: Theory Question

Play your standard game. Don't adjust any of your raises, cause they can start pickin you off. Take notice to it, and fire an occasional second barrell.

Maybe play some pp's harder against them, since they are callin off with nothing.

People like this will, in the long run, donate to you quite often when you do hit, so don't get frustrated when you dont.

Stay disciplined.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:10 AM

Maybe we should deal with the preflop issue first. If villain is calling my preflop raises with (relative) junk, why not tighten up and increase the size of my preflop raise in order to magnify his mistake? What I mean is chucking stuff like K-Jo that I'd rather not play postflop oop, but bombing legitimate premium hands. If I can raise A-Qs to 6xBB preflop and he'll call it with J-9o, why not do it?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:18 AM

in addition to double barrels with air...I love to cbet and check turn when I hit. They are perfect for Stackadonk
Old 05-25-2007, 11:18 AM

Because then you have to raise EVERYTHING ELSE to 6xBB. If you don't, he'll know when you have cards and when you don't. And if you throw away most other stuff, you're becoming too nitty. Get to know what he's holding and get a feel for when you're probably good with midpair/toppair and call him down lighter. You have to adjust your game, but at the same time disguise it.. not blow it wide open.

You shouldn't be playing KJo OOP any IMO btw.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in addition to double barrels with air...I love to cbet and check turn when I hit. They are perfect for Stackadonk

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmmmm love it

And also, another comment for OP:

Sounds like you need to work on your post flop play. Don't get caught up in ALL preflop, there is play after the flop, so use this as an oppurtunity to work on it.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmmmm love it

Sounds like you need to work on your post flop play. Don't get caught up in ALL preflop, there is play after the flop, so use this as an oppurtunity to work on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to work on not being a complete douche.

Why do you think I was advocating raising premium hands to 6xBB and raising non-premiums to 4xBB? That's not what I said at all. I said that I should tighten up my range and then raise THOSE hands to 6xBB or whatever lag villain would call.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:26 AM

Also, are you denying that villain is making a mistake by calling too many hands preflop? You're suggesting that we do absolutely nothing to punish him for those mistakes. He's willing to trade a small mistake (calling too light preflop) in the hopes of inducing us to make a larger mistake postflop. You're saying we should just let him make this trade? I think you're the one who needs to work on his game.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmmmm love it

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to work on not being a complete douche.

Why do you think I was advocating raising premium hands to 6xBB and raising non-premiums to 4xBB? That's not what I said at all. I said that I should tighten up my range and then raise THOSE hands to 6xBB or whatever lag villain would call.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol how was i being a complete douche? I responded to your thread twice in an attempt to help your game out.

so you go ahead and raise 6BB's preflop

LATA
Old 05-25-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that stackadonk is good here.