Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Official MTT COACHING thread.

I have too many students already, but if I lose some and can pick up a couple more I figure I may as well write all this out now.

[ QUOTE ]
For people who want to coach, please tell us about:

1. What you offer in terms of services.
2. How much it costs.
3. Why you’re qualified to coach.
4. Anything additional we should know about you, other details, or anything the previous questions didn’t cover.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Sweating, or looking over hh's I guess.

2. 300/hr if you book 5 sessions, 350 if you go by the sess.

3. Long history of tournament success bla bla bla.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:44 AM

I've been thinking about getting into coaching and this thread looks like a good opportunity to get my name out there. Thanks Bond.

I will do aim sessions, sweating, full hh reviews, email exchanges, focused hh studies (i.e. we focus on a certain kind of situation, you find a bunch of hands of that type, we discuss). I'm flexible as to the form, whatever works best for the student.

My strengths are versatility (I don't have monster mtt results, but I am a consistent winner across the board - midstakes mtts, nl cash, stts, and most of the non-holdem games) and a strong theoretic foundation. I understand the "big picture" very well and am good at explaining in detail why the correct move is correct. I also have teaching and coaching experience (math, history, basketball) and would really enjoy teaching poker. The best evidence of my qualifications or lack thereof is in my posts; I've made quite a few long ones over the past couple years.

The ideal student for me would be someone

-whose learning style is top-down theory-to-practice, the kind of person who starts with Theory of Poker and develops situational reasoning from there, instead of starting with starting hand charts and then looking for exceptions

- who plays or would like to play cash games as well as mtts. (if you want to play other games, even better)

- who wants to commit to a lot of lessons (assuming the first couple go well).

I'll leave price out of the post, but from what I know of others' prices, I think you'll find mine reasonable, especially if you want multiple lessons.

pm if interested.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:47 AM

LFT,

You had me at hello.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LFT,

You had me at hello.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you can afford me.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:54 AM

lftv is like the mdma of MTTs. he might not put in a lot of volume but he knows his stuff.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:56 AM

LFT, my team is down 2 with 8 seconds left inbounding from the half court line. What play are you drawing up?
Old 10-02-2007, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LFT, my team is down 2 with 8 seconds left inbounding from the half court line. What play are you drawing up?

[/ QUOTE ]

doublescreen for the guy who can shoot, second screener rolls to the basket.

God damn I miss basketball. Went from every day for twelve years to twice a week with old dudes.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:07 AM

1. What you offer in terms of services.
I can watch your sessions, answer questions of AIM/gtalk/phone, or review hand histores. I'm also interested in helping people prepare for larger live tournaments like WPT/EPT/WSOP.
2. How much it costs.
$175/hr or a % if you want coaching deep in a tournament. Rates WILL go up in a couple months when I have more coaching experience.
3. Why you’re qualified to coach.
I've made several hundred k playing online MTTs without luckboxing any Sunday millions. I have a very good shorthanded/closing track record. I also have experience with shorthanded nl cash games and live tournaments (mostly WPTs) so I think I'm a fairly well rounded player. I have a pretty strong math background but most of the analysis I teach isn't numeric. I also think I'm a very coherent explainer/writer (check out my Cardrunners videos or my columns in Bluff).
4. Anything additional we should know about you, other details, or anything the previous questions didn’t cover.
I've gotten a lot of interest in coaching before but I was busy with the WCOOP and no one really followed up with me either. If my correspondence with you lapsed feel free to email me again. I'm interested in only a couple serious students who are willing to invest a lot of time. I have successfully taught people to play like me before and I think coaching can be a rewarding experience for both of us. You can contact me via PM or email (aaron.been@gmail.com). Oh and I'm more than 7/12th as good as Ansky!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:23 AM

So I take it there aren't any coaches out there that coach just to have the pleasure of watching a student come along? Or coaching because they love to coach and it makes them feel good inside?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:26 AM

probably none that are worth learning from.
Closed Thread