Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 11-29-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: I flop my first royal during rebuy period 100r. Now what?

[ QUOTE ]
is it just me or is raising here absolutely awful? what could he possible have outside of 1010 QQ or KK (which he clearly does not have) that he would even contemplate calling a raise with. This "play big hands" fast theory is applicable most of the time for top sets, nut straights etc.... but for a flopped royal? are you F*ing kidding me?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of Sklanky's books (can't remember which one) presents the idea that playing a straight flush fast is a good idea as you want to extract value from other made flushes. Obviously this is player dependent.

Seeing that this is the first round of the 100r, if I think villain has any tendency to gamble it up early, I am gonna raise to 120 and hope he 3 bets. There are a lot of cards that can kill our action vs. a small flush or 2 pair and I really don't want to lose those hands. Anything else is really unlikely to pay off anyway.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is it just me or is raising here absolutely awful? what could he possible have outside of 1010 QQ or KK (which he clearly does not have) that he would even contemplate calling a raise with. This "play big hands" fast theory is applicable most of the time for top sets, nut straights etc.... but for a flopped royal? are you F*ing kidding me?

[/ QUOTE ]

straights, flushes, two pair, im not saying its a 100% raise but to assume people are only continuing with sets is laughable
Old 11-29-2007, 04:36 PM

make it ~200.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
haha yeah smooth calling and then massively overbetting the turn or river doesnt look strong at all

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, thats not what i meant. maybe i misspoke.

i guess the fact that people play so loose in a rebuy MTT is a valid point here, but other then that, that is still a hard board to get action on. I mean what is he gonna gamble it up with a K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
haha yeah smooth calling and then massively overbetting the turn or river doesnt look strong at all

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, thats not what i meant. maybe i misspoke.

i guess the fact that people play so loose in a rebuy MTT is a valid point here, but other then that, that is still a hard board to get action on. I mean what is he gonna gamble it up with a K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any 2 pair is possible and unlikely to fold to a raise. Pairs with a J might call.

To those advocating a slowplay, what turn & river cards do you think will help villain enough to get more action than we can on the flop?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:17 PM

one of the prerequisites for slowplaying a hand is you have to think tha by using deception you gain more on later streets than you do by playing more straightforwardly.

basically there is no flush draw that he can have that will stack off if another spade comes, so we cant hope for him to draw to a strong flush. If he has a one pair hand he probably isnt putting in too much money no matter what, and if a spade comes on the turn or river, he for sure isnt putting a bunch of money in. If he has a set or two pair then he is more likely to put a lot of money in on the flop and turn then he is on the river whether another spade comes or not.

Basically the point of slowplaying would be to hope he is 2pair or set fills up and he goes all the way, but since the probability of him having those hands plus the chance that he will fill up before a spade falls to kill our action is so small slowplaying makes no sense. Its clearly higher EV to build the pot now and hope we get action

if he folds theres nothing we can do, it just wasnt meant to be
Old 11-29-2007, 07:44 PM

I would slowplay until the river hoping the board pairs.

edit:
the board can potentially come q q or t t or q t. i think if he has a flush he pots but player dependant obviously.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just stick it in trying to make it look the naked As or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he calls 1 in 10 times, you made ~250 chips. I don't see how you can possibly get more on average out of this hand by raising than that.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:22 PM

id raise to 200 unless you have a rebuy-tard image
Old 11-30-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise pre raise flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I make it 160 on the flop or something.