Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-29-2007, 02:10 AM

Default Re: ***Official*** CNN/YouTube GOP debate

foal,

It seems to me that Kucinich or Gravel would be a good match for you. Although, admittedly, I haven't researched their positions very much. thoughts?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:12 AM

I am with you regarding McCain, JayTee. It annoys me that RP is the one guy who focuses rationally on the issues, and not on criticizing the other guys for who they hired to mow their lawn or even for the inconsistencies in their voting records (which he could have a field day on if he wanted to play those games). And then when he finally gets a chance to speak, McCain can't even lend him the courtesy of a fair rebuttal if he's determined to pick an argument. He literally made a Hitler reference as the crux of his argument, lol.

I mean, a non-intrusive foreign policy is far from some fringe idea. Granted, considering the status quo, I can understand why people might frown upon it the way they do and disagree with us (I used to see it that way too). But to ignore fair debate and instead act like it's some maniacal notion is something I would like to think is "unacceptable" of a leader. But sadly, that's what tends to win political support.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:17 AM

I think I agree with Kucinich on more issues than any other candidate. But there's a difference between agreeing with someone and thinking they'd make a good president. I'm not sure Dennis would be satisfactorily competent. Plus he's got like < %1 support and has little bi-partisan appeal.
Gravel dropped out, didn't he?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tancredo: All I can remember is that he doesn't like illegal immigrants and also doesn't like legal immigrants. Not a big fan of foreigners apparently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also he doesn't like illegal immigrant toys aparently.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:28 AM

hah
Old 11-29-2007, 02:56 AM

My final impressions after all is said and done:

Mitt Romney - Consider this my official 2p2 Politics Forum eating crow statement. He started off slick (too slick for me as I said) and quickly showed how not good he is at straddling the fence. However, I give him full credit for his answer to the Confederate flag question. Good on him for that. But at this point I cant see myself voting for the guy. Maybe he'll convince me but I doubt it. Also, gold star to Borodog for his incredulity at me saying Id vote for Romney. Apparently he knows me better than I know myself. [censored] astrophysicists..

Huckabee - Came off well and obviously a likeable guy. However, I dont buy into his whole compassionate conservativism schtick. Not that I dont think he doesnt believe, I think he does, and thats what scares me. As someone else astutely pointed out, he's kind of the worst combination of a Democrat and Republican. I dont see myself voting for him, even he gets the nod from the GOP.

Tancredo - Sort of turned around this guy some. YEah I think he is still primarily a one trick pony and I definitely am not as rabid on immigration as he is. However, I thought he gave some great answers and the one about the mission to Mars was an epic homerun. I think Im going to look at him a little more seriously.

Hunter - I agree with whoever said LOL.

Thompson - Dont know how to explain this, but I really dont any particular impression. He seemed polished, had some good answers, evinced a bit of a genuine sense of humor, but I'm still kind of meh on him. I'm keeping an eye on him but Im not sure how realistic his chances are.

Giuliani - As I said before, I admit I'm biased against him. But I wasnt impressed by him. Decent debator, definitely worked hard to turn everything into a chance to brag about his accomplishments as Mayor but a little too over the top with that particular tactic. And his odd speaking style still gives me that cat with scotch tape on his paws feeling.

Paul - First time I've listened to him speak. I was fairly impressed. AlexM needled me about this earlier, but he seriously needs to work on not coming off so bitterly. He definitely pwned some guys, McCain in particular. I'm definitely considering supporting him, but I'm not sold yet.

McCain - I agree with whoever said McCain seems tired. I feel sort of bad for him since I consider him somewhat of a hero of mine, but boy did he give some bad answers tonight. He said some good things too but it was definitely overshadowed by some of the other stuff. I hope he makes a good run, but I dont see it happening. And I still havent quite forgiven him for the McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Reform.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:56 AM

I like Paul as much as many here, but you guys have to stop setting up tar and feather parties whenever anyone questions him. It's not trolling, it's just dissent which, last I checked, is alright.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:16 AM

Xorbie,

I forget who originally busted out the T-word. Maybe I shouldn't have played along by agreeing (but I did and still do think it was accurate). I agree though that it's pretty pointless, and generally never use the word, so my apologies if my post is one that you're referring to.

But at the same time, are posts like this really necessary? That was a few hours ago, and no one is talking about it anymore.

I mean, these things become bigger deals than they are intended to be when everyone and their mother jumps in to claim an opinion on who was right and who was wrong.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Huckabee won this debate by a big margin IMO. Seems like a nice guy, too bad he's a religious wacko. Romney comes off like a snake-oil salesman/cyborg. I wasn't impressed by him at all.

Republicans really are deathly afraid of Mexicans, aren't they? It seems like most will vote for whoever promises to get the brown people out of their town.

[/ QUOTE ]

Religious Whacko? I think the Whacko is one who thinks this whole universe was all my randomness. Seems like your bibles are the God Delusion and all that junk and your the one who is whacked out by that spin.

Sad sad sad that in this day and age that believing in God is whackish.

Man, Satan really is winning the temporal war.....
Old 11-29-2007, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Huckabee won this debate by a big margin IMO. Seems like a nice guy, too bad he's a religious wacko. Romney comes off like a snake-oil salesman/cyborg. I wasn't impressed by him at all.

Republicans really are deathly afraid of Mexicans, aren't they? It seems like most will vote for whoever promises to get the brown people out of their town.

[/ QUOTE ]

Religious Whacko? I think the Whacko is one who thinks this whole universe was all my randomness. Seems like your bibles are the God Delusion and all that junk and your the one who is whacked out by that spin.

Sad sad sad that in this day and age that believing in God is whackish.

Man, Satan really is winning the temporal war.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi