Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 12:28 AM

Default HORSE satellite Stud Hi hand: not paying attention and now lost

What am I supposed to think when a big stack raises UTG with a dead three?

Probably a buried pair bigger than my split 9's. So why does he come out firing with the ace on 5th? Could he actually have A33 here?

I hadn't been paying much attention to how this guy was playing and I felt entirely lost.

Tournament - HORSE - 7 Card Stud High - Level IX (300/600), Ante 60, Bring-In 90 (converter)

Seat 1: 804
Seat 3: 2,018
Seat 4: 2,535
Hero: 6,353
Seat 6: 1,055
Seat 7: 6,223
Seat 8: 5,574

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (3.70 SB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.85 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.85 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (4.85 BB)
Old 09-09-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Re: HORSE satellite Stud Hi hand: not paying attention and now lost

He could have 2 more spades under or he could believe that your hand is air. A3 under is very unlikely given exposed 3.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:06 AM

Looks like Qx of spades to me, and the Ace just got him all excited to get some money into the pot.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:09 AM

Do you think it's likely that somebody would come in raising with three spades not including the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? They're live but he can have neither A23[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] nor 345[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on 3rd, and I refuse to believe he'd make a steel wheel without showing.

In a cash game I'd probably just call down to figure out what was going on... bad habit. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think it's likely that somebody would come in raising with three spades not including the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would if the K was already folded, I had the Q and no one else was showing a spade. But I'm lousy at Stud hi.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:41 AM

Out of idle curiosity, what was the buy-in for this prestigious event?

You could do worse than folding on third. If you're going to fold sixth, you should probably fold fifth.

I plan on being at Canterbury quite a bit during the Fall Classic. If $30/60 stud/8 is going and I don't go broke, that's where I'll be. Otherwise, the $6/12 usually goes about every day during that event. The beard is back, and most of the staff knows who I am. Please introduce yourself when I'm not in a hand.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of idle curiosity, what was the buy-in for this prestigious event?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a $36+3.

[ QUOTE ]

You could do worse than folding on third. If you're going to fold sixth, you should probably fold fifth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave some thought to folding 5th but I decided on the spur of the moment that it was more likely to be a semibluff than a made hand. But either way 6th didn't look good.

I'm wondering if I had reraised on 3rd, whether it would have discouraged him from taking a shot at me on 5th with ace-high.

[ QUOTE ]

I plan on being at Canterbury quite a bit during the Fall Classic. If $30/60 stud/8 is going and I don't go broke, that's where I'll be. Otherwise, the $6/12 usually goes about every day during that event. The beard is back, and most of the staff knows who I am. Please introduce yourself when I'm not in a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

My housemate and I may show up. I'm debating taking a day off work to play the Omaha/8 event. I might even play the Stud hi tournament since it's on a weekend this year. I'd certainly love to find Stud/8 running. (I didn't get to play Stud last year because I did too well in the tournament...) If I'm there I'll keep an eye out for you.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:05 AM

The stud tournament is the one event that I am definitely planning on playing. I'm mostly planning on playing in side games, but will probably play in a tournament or three if the side action is not to my liking. I've been saving up PTO for this, and I'm going to need a break about then. This whole business of working for a living isn't all it's cracked up to be.