Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Lies you have told that made you feel really guilty...

"just one? I'm livin like 20"
Old 11-14-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OP, I think you were leveled.

[/ QUOTE ]
You think the prof was leveling a kid who claimed to have just lost his grandmother?

[/ QUOTE ]
The grandmother dying is one of the oldest college lies. I got the short end of that lie my second year of college. Another student used it earlier in the semester and it turned out to be false. The kid was local and the professor couldn't find the obituary in the paper. D'OH! My grandma died two days before the final and he was an ass about it because of the other kid.

The professor probably felt that OP was lying and called him out on it. It's win-win for him. If OP's grandma did die, then great. If the professor knew OP was full of [censored] then the professor wins:

[ QUOTE ]
I never felt so badly or guilty as I did when I left his office.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think that a professor who had lost his wife recently would have let his class know?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Don't you think that a professor who had lost his wife recently would have let his class know?

[/ QUOTE ]

er i'm gonna go with 'no'
Old 11-14-2007, 04:57 PM

yea, the #1 cause of senior death is "grandchild starting freshman year at college" it seems...

[ QUOTE ]
The grandmother dying is one of the oldest college lies. I got the short end of that lie my second year of college. Another student used it earlier in the semester and it turned out to be false. The kid was local and the professor couldn't find the obituary in the paper. D'OH! My grandma died two days before the final and he was an ass about it because of the other kid.

[/ QUOTE ]

that sucks that you got the short end of it.

I don't know how common it is across the nation, but most TAs/profs I've known just take a businesslike approach to it and say "that's fine, you can miss class, no worries - plz bring me a copy of the obit / funeral notice when you come back" and treat it like a dr's note kind of thing.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how common it is across the nation, but most TAs/profs I've known just take a businesslike approach to it and say "that's fine, you can miss class, no worries - plz bring me a copy of the obit / funeral notice when you come back" and treat it like a dr's note kind of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, i dunno how much like, academic right the univeristy gives them to ask for documentation about that sort of thing though, you know? it might violate some university policy.

girls have the best excuse ever for anything: show up crying and say you had an abortion. nobody will ever F with that excuse.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:07 PM

"I just wanted to let you know that I will not be able to come into work tomorrow. Something came up at home and I had to go to New York this morning for the next couple of days. I apologize for the delayed notice."

...does it count as feeling guilty if you only feel bad once you get caught?
Old 11-14-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...does it count as feeling guilty if you only feel bad once you get caught?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes imo
Old 11-14-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

er i'm gonna go with 'no'

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it depends on the professor and when the wife died. If it was early in the summer break, you're right. The professor of my data structures class died like a week into the semester and he pretty much left the class up to the TA at that point.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yea, i dunno how much like, academic right the univeristy gives them to ask for documentation about that sort of thing though, you know? it might violate some university policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, this probably varies wildly from campus to campus. the first example I found just now was Lamar University:

[ QUOTE ]
Students will be granted emergency leave for reason of death in the student’s immediate family. Immediate family is defined within this section as the
student’s spouse or the student’s or spouse’s parent, brother, sister, grandparent, child or grandchild. Leave must be requested in writing, with appropriate documentation attached (e.g., obituary notice) from the Vice President for Student Affairs who, if the leave is granted, will inform each of the student’s instructors.

[/ QUOTE ]

the dean's office (or VP/student affairs in this case) probably enforce this at either extreme, too. some won't really care if the documentation shows up, regardless of what the policy says. others are fairly bulldog about it.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:35 PM

This doesn't fit with the thread subject because I don't feel guilty about it (victimless crime FTW) but it does go along with the OP so...

A month after fall break in my freshman year of college I had a midterm in a MWF class. It was Wednesday and I had not started studying and had not opened the 12 books that the exam covered. To make matters worse I had baseball practice that night and there were big parties on weds and thurs. In short, there was no way I was taking this test.

I didn't want to use the "i'm sick" excuse or "dead grandmother" excuse because I didn't want the teacher to ask me for documentation because, though the teacher was a fairly cool guy, he was a bit of a stickler for the rules. I needed an excuse that would work with no questions asked.

I sat in class on Wednesday thinking of excuses until a great one hit me...I did my best to look distraught for the rest of class and after class I asked the professor if I could speak to him.

We went up to his office and I told him that I saw my ex-girlfriend when I went home for fall break and she had just called me this morning to tell me that she was pregnant and she did not know if she wanted to keep the baby. I told the professor that I was going to leave from his office to go home to help her 'figure out what she was going to do' and that I would not be back to school on Friday to take the test.

He looked at me and just said: "You gotta do what you gotta do, just let me know when you feel up to taking the test. I hope everything comes out ok."

Of course I didn't study between the excuse and the test but I did get an A on the exam... it was an essay test though so I am not sure if my answers were good or if the professor just figured he would cut me a break because I had a lot on my mine.

Maybe I should feel bad about this... but I just see it as a funny story about my brazen college days.