Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Potential Political Impact?

What about sending a very cheap PPA playing card or something in the postage paid return envelopes to those of you on the RNC or DNC mailing list?

I know I can get something printed up very cheaply; even an online pre-printed impact message in an odd shape might work. Or something that at first glance looks like a donation check?

Thoughts?

D$D
Old 09-15-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Potential Political Impact?

Just thinking out loud.

We, and the PPA, need some exposure. How about a few hundred of us descend on Kentucky around mid to late October just before the elections and make some noise? We could rally at the respective headquarters in support and opposition of the two candidates.

We would keep it all very positive.

"It is about money for education"

"It is about personal liberty"

"Poker is a game of skill and poker players are fine folks"

If we could get the numbers, we would get noticed. And we could also do a bit of volunteering for "our" candidate, thus getting a measure of credit for his victory.

Just a thought.

Tuff
Old 09-15-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just thinking out loud.

We, and the PPA, need some exposure. How about a few hundred of us descend on Kentucky around mid to late October just before the elections and make some noise? We could rally at the respective headquarters in support and opposition of the two candidates.

We would keep it all very positive.

"It is about money for education"

"It is about personal liberty"

"Poker is a game of skill and poker players are fine folks"

If we could get the numbers, we would get noticed. And we could also do a bit of volunteering for "our" candidate, thus getting a measure of credit for his victory.

Just a thought.

Tuff

[/ QUOTE ]

I can be ready in 1/2 hour and in KY in about 7 hours with a reliable car. Tuff I'll pick you up at the airport!

Just tell me when and where. TE it's an open offer.

D$D
Old 09-16-2007, 06:47 AM

Good idea, but perhaps best to keep it as Kentucky intensive a gathering as possible. Americans don't like carpetbaggers. Don't let them cast it as a gathering of paid reps of foreign gambling.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good idea, but perhaps best to keep it as Kentucky intensive a gathering as possible. Americans don't like carpetbaggers. Don't let them cast it as a gathering of paid reps of foreign gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to write the same thing. Thanks for the offers, but Kentuckians hate carpetbaggers more than most states, I'd guess, especially in regards to our elecions and our decisions on gaming.

Fletcher is down by 17% in yesterday's polls (56%-39%, http://time-blog.com/real_clear_poli...r_beshear.html ). No churches or FoF-types are rallying for Fletcher or for his anti-gaming position. I guess we shouldn't interrupt Fletcher's crash and burn.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to write the same thing. Thanks for the offers, but Kentuckians hate carpetbaggers more than most states, I'd guess, especially in regards to our elecions and our decisions on gaming.

Fletcher is down by 17% in yesterday's polls (56%-39%, http://time-blog.com/real_clear_poli...r_beshear.html ). No churches or FoF-types are rallying for Fletcher or for his anti-gaming position. I guess we shouldn't interrupt Fletcher's crash and burn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your choice. If you don't think there aren't anti-gambling pros involved already deeply involved you are sadly mistaken. Of course a the best of pros you'd never know they weren't an unpaid local volunteer. That is how we work... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

D$D
Old 09-16-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your choice. If you don't think there aren't anti-gambling pros involved already deeply involved you are sadly mistaken. Of course a the best of pros you'd never know they weren't an unpaid local volunteer. That is how we work... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

I may or may not be "sadly mistaken", but I think that's where things seem to be based on the current data. Why interrupt the Fletcher train wreck?
Old 09-16-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

I may or may not be "sadly mistaken", but I think that's where things seem to be based on the current data. Why interrupt the Fletcher train wreck?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is just two schools of thought. Good campaign pros are always involved no matter the state. The carpetbagger issue is never a problem except for communications people.

I say, and have said, a highly visible well coordinated effort and the PPA gets a lot of credit for burying the looser. We can play it penny wise and pound foolish and try to scrape up as much credit from friendly PR types, and get some media credit. But the National parties will know exactly how much effort was really put on the ground.

I fully understand the argument of doing it on the cheap. The way the polls look now it seems like a possible wasted effort. But if things start to move it is going to be too late to for us to pull the trigger given where we currently are as an organization.

The idea that the 72 hour campaign is just a 3 day effort is completely misunderstood. I know how and have moved +-5% from final weekend polls and the other side often was completely blindsided. I've also cause the national to spend millions of extra dollars and tons of man hours to combat my well organized grassroots volunteer efforts. That 3 day “72 hour” campaigns are built long before the final weekend. They have worked well in the past because they are semi-stealth in nature. Once they became highly publicized they were easier to counteract for in your campaign planning.

So I completely understand the argument that "he's going to loose, why bother?" But if the WTO case causes movement sooner rather than later do you want to have to beg for a seat at the table or get to organize the seating????

If the WTO case doesn’t cause a sooner victory we have primaries coming up, then the ’08 cycle. When are we going to exercise our muscles? We can’t expect to be ready to run the ’08 marathon without a few tune up races. Well we can expect to……..

Smart politics is pro-action, reaction is a losers’ game. You may get a win but your win ends a phyrric victory.

IMPO the PPA position seems to be to want to limp into the pot and hope to win a monster.

But what the hell do I know about anything?

D$D
Old 09-16-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is just two schools of thought. Good campaign pros are always involved no matter the state. The carpetbagger issue is never a problem except for communications people.....

[/ QUOTE ]

You already brought this to John Pappas, and he shared with you PPA's perspective.

I welcome any volunteer work you wish to do, of course. My work is on a volunteer basis as well. Feel free to PM me with any other comments. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is just two schools of thought. Good campaign pros are always involved no matter the state. The carpetbagger issue is never a problem except for communications people.....

[/ QUOTE ]

You already brought this to John Pappas, and he shared with you PPA's perspective.

I welcome any volunteer work you wish to do, of course. My work is on a volunteer basis as well. Feel free to PM me with any other comments. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

John and I talked about a number of issues and a number of ways of handling them. He said he needed to think them over. Are you saying a decision has been reached?

Inquiring minds want to know,

D$D