Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 10:50 PM

Default I think I just threw up

Villain is 36/18/1.2 over 90 hands, but no real read. I would think a flopped set would raise somewhere before the river this deep, but I also suck at making big calls. Is this one of them?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($209.30)
SB ($1059.10)
BB ($594.50)
Hero ($1304.60)
MP ($601)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $22</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $22, SB calls $19, BB calls $16.

Flop: ($88) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $66</font>, Button folds, SB calls $66, BB folds.

Turn: ($220) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $140</font>, SB calls $140.

River: ($500) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $831.1 (All-In)</font>
Old 02-21-2007, 10:55 PM

Default Re: I think I just threw up

Looks like Quads - ul!
Old 02-21-2007, 10:56 PM

you really think he got here like this with TT or 77? i dont.

although a 5....
Old 02-21-2007, 11:01 PM

Wow, I've never seen anyone use the trips on the board to issue to a big overbet bluff.

But is it a bluff? Couldn't it be TT555?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:04 PM

No, I would fold here. On the flop villain is supposed to raise a set yes, but alot of players will just call with a set hoping that someone else will raise for them or atleast not scare everyone out (a little different here since he is in the SB and button already folded, but you still cant rule out a set)

On the turn he doesnt need to protect his hand anymore, so his checkcall is not that bad. He could be losing value by not raising sure. But it looks like he is trying to get that value back by reppin' the missed OESD or flushdraw on the river.

Another thing you should note here is that he checkcalled a pretty big bet OOP on the TURN after the board paired. This is not a very good way to play a draw...

I'd say he has a monster here and didnt know what to do to get paid.

Once you see a player doing this 1 time, 2 times etc more, it becomes something else. But in general unknowns dont bluff for almost 2x pot OOP when you've shown nothing but strength
Old 02-21-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like Quads - ul!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah im thinking the same way. i dont see him playing 555TT this way. this is more than likely quads.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:07 PM

don't swallow it
Old 02-21-2007, 11:12 PM

wow, I missed the fact that the board came running fives.

Hrmf, strange spot. But he has to put you on full house with something decent like what you have or QQ-AA, possibly a ten. And he is still shoving!
Old 02-21-2007, 11:17 PM

What a weird hand. I'd say I don't see him slowplaying the turn anymore with a set or a 5, but I can't think he'd care much cause it's the perfect turn to do this if you've got a big hand like that and you intend to nuke the river like he did...

This is ugly. I probably fold cause I just can't see such a weird bluff when you've pretty clearly represented what you've actually got. If it's a bluff, it's a pretty good one assuming he actually knows you're capable of a fold.

If he doesn't know you're capable of a fold, I think you've gotta let it go here.

- C -
Old 02-21-2007, 11:58 PM

How can he have a 5, and

A) call the flop not closing the action (presumably with no draw, because there is no legit draw for him to have) and
B) not c/r the turn, or do SOMETHING other than call, on this board?

What's his reraising range like? Could have have QQ-AA here? This would be an out-of-character way for someone with his stats to play TT/77, I'd call in the moment because his line makes no sense with any big hand, but our hand looks pretty strong I can't imagine what he'd expect you to fold so a bluff seems out of place? Weird hand.

Surf