Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Re: I have decided to buy a Wii!

Oh wow, good thing I didn't write the rest of what I was going to write. I also own Excite Truck and Super Paper Mario, and I thought Excite Truck was monotonous and Super Paper Mario was way too easy and slow. The Donkey Kong game is supposedly going to be a better racing game, but I'm skeptical.

Don't get me wrong about Mario Party. No, it's not my kind of game, but the girls and non-gamers at my parties love it. More than Wii Sports.

IIRC Rayman got good reviews from a lot of places, so I'm clearly in the minority there. FWIW, A lot of my friends found the controls counter-intuitive and at times, unresponsive.

Another thing Strikers has is online multiplayer, which is pretty fun. Even if you don't play it online, the multiplayer is fun (except for the fact you need more nunchucks). If it only had single player, I don't think the game would be more than a 6.5/10, but that's how GCN Strikers was.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:11 AM

You are clearly not playing Excite Truck right if you think it's monotonous. Such an awesome game.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are clearly not playing Excite Truck right if you think it's monotonous. Such an awesome game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeh it is! First time I played it I defeated eveyone who I was playing against and they all had practise lol!
Old 09-12-2007, 01:35 PM

I own:

Wii Sports (obv. it comes with it)

Wii Play (worth it because it's like $10 if you factor in the cost of an extra wiimote which I assume you'll be buying)

Trauma Center (pretty cool, however I might trade it in, because there's probably better stuff)

Excite Truck (I was thinking about trading this one in with TC for a new game, maybe I'll try it out again. It was fun, but seemed kinda monotonous)

Zelda (barely played it. my brother passed it and loved it)

Strikers Charged (was awesome, still is fun, but played it hard for a while, and probably overdid it)

I rented:
The Bigs (definitely a renter. fun, but it definitely has some cons, such as fielding controls and the cpu makes ridiculous over the fence catches on my homeruns into the 2nd deck. it's arcade style so don't expect a nice baseball sim. there isn't even season mode. Rookie Challenge is essentially the main game where you make a rookie and build up his stats as you play games and different scenarios. it's fun, but gets monotonous and isn't worth a buy)

I'm going to buy:

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Guitar Hero III

Thoughts on other games:

Mario Party (i heard it's just junk, and i wasn't too impressed with the most recent one on GCN)

Super Paper Mario (i love this series, but it's too easy, and i don't really have the time now to just breeze through a game that probably takes a while)

SSX Blur (i might buy this one still)

Wario Ware: (I was all set to buy this. love wario ware on gcn, then i found out multiplayer was just hot seating with one controller. LAME! such a bad decision. so i didn't buy it, but i've heard it's still fun even though you gotta pass the controller around. i'd buy it if it was $20)

Metroid 3: (this one intrigues me. i've never played the metroid series though. kinda the same reason as super paper mario that i haven't bought it though. don't really have the time for it. i prefer the multiplayer games, and don't so much like sitting down for a 1p game. notice how i have barely played zelda and i love zelda games)

Madden 08 (i'm going to rent this one and check it out. pretty good chance i'll buy it. i've heard the mini-games alone make it awesome)
Old 09-12-2007, 01:48 PM

Does anyone who's played guitar hero know if it's reasonable to play it left handed? I'm a southpaw, so I'd probably have to play the thing Hendrix style. Alternatively, do they make a left handed version of the controller I could buy instead?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone who's played guitar hero know if it's reasonable to play it left handed? I'm a southpaw, so I'd probably have to play the thing Hendrix style. Alternatively, do they make a left handed version of the controller I could buy instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't expect to see a GH question in this thread, and I have no idea what they'll do with the Wii version, but there's a lefty flip option in both the PS2 and 360 versions of the games...
Old 09-12-2007, 02:18 PM

i've never played but i'd imagine that it's probably fairly easy to just play left handed by looking at the guitar. not sure how much you need to use that whammy bar and if that would make it difficult, but in terms of just buttons it should be no problem.
i also imagine if it was a problem it wouldn't take too long to get used to.
i'm a southpaw as well, i never play guitar, but whenever i pick one up, i grab it left-handed by default until someone corrects me. not that it really matters because i suck anyways, but unless you play lots of guitar and always play lefty, i don't imagine it would be hard to learn to play right-handed.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:53 PM

Metroid and Zelda for single game...

Mario Party and soon you'll have to buy Smash Bros. That will be a great game.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:59 AM

i have zelda, mario party, strikers, rayman, and metroid.

Metroid is the best game of the bunch. Zelda is PRETTY good, but i am a little dissapointed in it. I don't enjoy playing it as much as metroid and I am maybe halfway through it after 1 year.

As someone else mentioned, all my female friends love mario party, it is a great mutliplayer game.

Rayman is ok, but for some reason I never play it.

Same with strikers, I thought i would play it but never do. Tennis is still more popular with my friends.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:45 AM

mario party sucked, rayman sucked, wii sports gets old, zelda was good, wario ware is fun once drunk with friends, tiger woods is ok.....buy a 360