Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 01:40 PM

Default effective vs. implied

hi, when would you use effective odds and when would you use implied odds?
Old 08-14-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: effective vs. implied

your express odds only account for the bet you face in relation to the current size of the pot, where as implied odds account for future potential $'s won based on stack sizes. however, it's not as simple as saying "he bet 2bb, but he has 98bb left, so i'm getting great implied odds." applying implied odds properly has a few hurdles b/c your opponent may not always pay you off when you hit and your outs may not be clean. also, you must consider how likely your opponent is to bet again and how large the bet will be.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:28 PM

I believe that effective odds are the same as implied odds. tarheeljks is describing the difference between implied/effective odds and pot odds.

Unless there is a difference between effective and implied odds that I, and Pokerzone, are not aware of

http://dictionary.pokerzone.com/Effective+Odds
Old 08-14-2007, 03:45 PM

i assumed he really meant "express/explicit" odds when he said effective.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that effective odds are the same as implied odds. tarheeljks is describing the difference between implied/effective odds and pot odds.

Unless there is a difference between effective and implied odds that I, and Pokerzone, are not aware of

http://dictionary.pokerzone.com/Effective+Odds

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like that definition and I believe effective odds and implied odds are different.

Effective odds are usually used to determine your play on the flop where there are two cards to come. Your pot or immediate odds are what is being laying to call a flop bet. The effective odds have to take into account another bet you may have to call on the turn. This type of thinking usually applies to limit holdem since you can accurately say what bet you will face.

Effective odds are used in NL when a player is approaching committing his whole stack. If a player makes a bet or raise and looks like he will be committed you can calculate your effective odds for proceeding.

Implied odds on the other hand include the money you will win with a river bet. So implied odds use the expected total pot size when the hand is over.

In summary, I believe effective odds use the future cost of calling a future bet (i.e. a turn bet) while implied odds use the total amount you expect to win when the hand is over.

So in answer to OP, in deep stack NL I use pot odds and implied odds for every decision and in short stack NL I use some pot odds but most effective odds.