Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2006, 05:10 PM

Default (PS $2/$4): AA in Big Pot

The SB looks tight, the BB is a tad loose, and UTG and MP are both over 50% VP$IP.

UTG looks pretty passive (AF <0.5 after 36 hands). He's checked behind on the river with the nuts and open-limped from from the SB with A9o. However, in one heads-up pot he did check-raise the river with a flopped top pair, weak kicker. I have seen him donk bet once in almost the exact same circumstance (5 people seeing the flop for two bets, but board had two broadways and was a rainbow), and he had bottom set that time.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP folds, Hero . . .

Scott
Old 12-16-2006, 05:30 PM

Default Re: (PS $2/$4): AA in Big Pot

Well, since he is passive and doesn't have the As, I would raise the turn even though UTG may have the flush. I just wouldn't want to give a cheap river to 3 opponents who may have cards between them that could come to beat me. Plus, you probably won't get much action on the river if you make a flush so it's better to raise now.

Actually, I would have raised the flop here since it's a big pot and you figure to have the best hand. Sure UTG could have 44 but that's a distant thought in my mind when I see him donk here, despite the read. I know that you can't protect your hand much with a flop raise, but I'd rather collect 2 bets from everyone than just one, and there is no guarantee UTG will continue to bet the turn.

So calling the flop with the intention of raising the turn I think is ok if you think you can raise the turn. But here I'd rather not take the risk of having the turn checked to me so I would raise the flop. I'm definitely open to hearing arguments for just calling though.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:36 PM

If you are not raising the flop so that you can raise the turn I'd go ahead and do it. In this case however I'd rather raise the flop because the pot isn't so big that you can't put pressure on draws and because if that spade comes on the turn and the passive guy bets you are not going to know what to do. He could easily have a J here and now you don't want to raise fearing a flush which means you missed out on the value of the flop raise.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:24 PM

No flop raise? Seems like that's asking for trouble. You really want to allow the blinds to continue cheaply here when you hold only one pair?
Old 12-17-2006, 04:47 PM

Definite flop raise.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:17 PM

Not raising the flop is ugly. At least raise the turn and make SB/BB draw crappily to worse flushes.