Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Re: The 3 legs of taking theism seriously

The idea of someone having a religion is (I would think) innofensive to almost anyone. The 'problem' comes from 3) leading to 2) leading to 1). as thiests, we don't like 1). Is that a fair, if be it overly simplistic, sinopsis of the OP?

My thoughts are as follows, and forgive me if I ramble.

I have no issues at all with thiests, either in real life or here on these boards. I do have issues with people who choose to debate a subject with me, but who either choose, or incapable of, doing it rationally. That goes for thiests and athiests alike.

The reason there is such an athiest vs thiest feeling to this board is because of the nature of it. it is a debating forum, and the position of athiesm lends itself to being debated in a win or lose enviorenment infinately better that the thiest position. The willingness of some to chase a lost cause with such wreckless abandon for logic is what leads to the general feeling of derision amongst many of the athiest posters here. I would like to stress that, while I am making generalisations, I am certainly not saying that every peg fits the corresponding hole.

One of the reasons I feel no personal negative feeling at all towards Theism, or Thiests, is that I am happy. There are many things that I would change in the world if I could, and the presence of thiests wouldn't even make the list. I know that the presence of religion in laws of my country (UK) on occasion lean things slightly the wrong (IMO) way, the only examples I can think of (the sunday trading law eg) are 1) truly insignificant to me, and 2) not evil/doing significant harm.

I feel no need whatsoever to do anything about it as I feel that - if my position is based on scientific evidence and rational thought, which it is, then science and learning/evolving (In an academic/teaching sense) are doing the job for me.

I also enjoy having sensible debates with anyone, including thiests who are willing to debate an issue rationally. Taraz is a good example, he is the ying to Splendour's yang.

My 2c.