Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Investing experiment

I know that you usually need to have a lot of money to invest, like $5000 or more, to get a good return but I want to treat this as a learning experience to see how things work and maybe learn a little about investing in general. I have some money that I have made on the side playin poker that I want to "learn" with. It is only $500, so obviously I can not afford stocks like Apple or Google, but I am looking to invest maybe in the Semiconductors or Alternative Energy area. I have done some research based on some reading and have seen stocks like FSLR (First Solar) which cost too much but have increased 5X in the past 6 months. Also, there are other alternative energy and semiconductor stocks that are in the 10 - 20$ range, which is where I would be looking. Some of these include Ascent Solar Technologies, Intel, and Duke Energy to name a few. I was wondering if you would have any suggestions for stocks in these areas that would be good to "learn" with, and possibly make a little money. Thanks in advance for the help.

BTW I have plenty of money in savings and CD's so i know about the earnings there but like i said, i want to do this to learn something!
Old 07-25-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Investing experiment

All you'll learn is that you can't overcome the expenses of investing if you start with $500.

I suggest you create a simulated portfolio and trade/invest with that. If you can show profits with reasonable risk, then you can invest some of your saved money.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:24 PM

What if I were to create an account at like ameritrade and invest all in one company for the 6.99 or whatever and then let it sit there and see what happens??
Old 07-25-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if I were to create an account at like ameritrade and invest all in one company for the 6.99 or whatever and then let it sit there and see what happens??

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest using Zecco with such a small amount of money. Free trades ($0 commission).
Old 07-26-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd have a decent chance of losing most of your capital through bad luck, but it's only $500 so go for it if you want. But you won't learn a whole lot from just picking one stock...
Old 07-26-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All you'll learn is that you can't overcome the expenses of investing if you start with $500.

I suggest you create a simulated portfolio and trade/invest with that. If you can show profits with reasonable risk, then you can invest some of your saved money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Took the advice and made a "simulated portfolio" on Google, thanks for the advice I think ill learn a lot!