Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 10:42 AM

Default etiquette when playing v. known 2+2\'er

When playing at a table with someone you recognize as a 2+2'er is it correct etiquette to give a 'sup bro' so they at least know you know who they are and something about how they play from their posts? Or would most 2+2'ers prefer any anonymity they have in case others at the table do not know who they are?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Re: etiquette when playing v. known 2+2\'er

I usually greet/acknowledge if I know someone is a poster but if no response or if I think they'd just rather have their space I find a different table. I really enjoy playing with some though when I think they don't mind.

The clumsiest for me is when someone who's screen name I don't recognize greets me other than sup or hola because then I'm not sure if they post here or what's up.

I had one this morning who greeted me something like "take it easy on me Bona this is my first day" I replied "what do you mean", hoping to get some kind of identity swap but instead he turned really rude and pretty soon left the table with an unkind remark. Go figure.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:22 AM

Just to be on the safe side I wouldn't acknowledge, if someone thinks I am being rude then they can take it up on this board, and besides, I always have chat disabled because I think it is -EV anyway. I would seek another table anyway for obvious reason of not wanting to be in a -EV situation.

But in a hypothethical situation where I would be playing against 2+2er who wouldn't have a clue I know him to be a 2+2er---I would be donking more than usual to pick up some pots.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:34 PM

Meh. You should always give a "sup bro"! You sit down at a live table with somebody you know, do you not say hi? If you think it's going to be -EV for you to play at the table with the guy, you have the option of leaving. He has the same perogative. The fact of the matter is that at a full table, unless you're sitting right next to each other, your opportunities to tangle are going to be so limited as to not make any difference in all likelihood.

That said, if you sat at the table, said "sup bro", then stopped chatting and took the first opportunity to move to my immediate left I'd probably be offended. So, if you don't like having chat on, maybe just leaving the table is your best bet.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When playing at a table with someone you recognize as a 2+2'er is it correct etiquette to give a 'sup bro' so they at least know you know who they are and something about how they play from their posts? Or would most 2+2'ers prefer any anonymity they have in case others at the table do not know who they are?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't use the chat at all.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:39 PM

Don't suck out on the river (OBV) [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I wouldnt holla people at the table, primairly because it doesnt look so good when two people at the same table appear to know each other.

Dropping a 2+2ism in the chatbox seems fine.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The clumsiest for me is when someone who's screen name I don't recognize greets me other than sup or hola because then I'm not sure if they post here or what's up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of college. Small school, and I was, uh, infamous. The number of times somebody would sit next to me in a lecture and start in with, "Dude, that game of foosball three weeks ago was so awesome...," and I'm sitting there wondering what the hell their name is. I actually ran into a classmate in an airport about 3 months ago whose face I recognized but couldn't remember his name; we talked old times for about two hours, drinking beers and waiting for our flights; didn't figure out his name until I got home and checked the yearbook.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That said, if you sat at the table, said "sup bro", then stopped chatting and took the first opportunity to move to my immediate left I'd probably steal your blinds relentlessly.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP!

I always throw out a sup bro, but personally it doesn't matter to me one way or another as I'll figure out your playing style pretty quickly if I don't already know you are a bro.

To all of those that "instantly" start looking for another table, well, that is pretty dumb. A table can have a bunch of TAGs/2p2ers and still be a great table depending on the other cast of people and your position relative to them. So don't just leave because a 2p2er sits at your table.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:10 PM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

I always throw out a sup bro when I recognize a 2p2er. Quite a few times I get no response. Most of the time they're multitabling/bonus whoring, the rest of the time they don't know me so w/e.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:26 PM

I say "hi" to 2+2ers all the time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Of course, I also say "hi" to non-2+2ers, too! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]