Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-30-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: omfg online poker rigged?!1

[ QUOTE ]
do online poker rooms favor newer players?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Big companies have a huge interest in running fair games. Does cheating of one kind or another ever occur? Yes. But the cardrooms, themselves, certainly aren't the ones doing the cheating by "favoring" anybody. That would just be bad for business in the long run.

[ QUOTE ]
Am I just paranoid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else experience this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Except I play live. It's variance. I'm 100% confident that my cardroom with rotating dealers every 30 minutes isn't favoring the "returning" part timers at the expense of the regulars. I am confident that on-line games don't stack the deck based on cash outs, deposits, streaks, or anything thing else of that nature.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sitting here continuing to get sets of KK like every other hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Every other hand eh. Me thinks not.

I look forward to your next post "Is poker rigged? - Havn't had KK in 500 hands"

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the point in his post.......

he runs hot when he gets on a new site............

then the compltete opposite happens.........
Old 11-30-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sitting here continuing to get sets of KK like every other hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Every other hand eh. Me thinks not.

I look forward to your next post "Is poker rigged? - Havn't had KK in 500 hands"

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the point in his post.......

he runs hot when he gets on a new site............

then the compltete opposite happens.........

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know what his point is. It follows the same as all rigged theories – “I started off hot then after a while it turns and I lose all the money”. Listen, that will happen for some people. Other people will just start off badly. Some will be average. It is what you would expect with a large number of people.

Unfortunately, new players when they start off good (or shall we say the plus side of variance) think that is their level. They are lulled into a false sense of security. When it turns they think it is rigged. Generally, they are just poor players and variance is evening itself out.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:44 PM

I've seen people use starting hand distributions as THE argument to put to rest "rigged" conspirators. I've seen posts of 100k+ starting hands and they are spot on.

I'm looking forward to the new version of PT. Currently, as far as I know, you cannot filter for such things as flopping sets from pkt pairs or completing a 4 flush or 4 strt on the turn or river. If these sorts of things are distributed properly over many thousands of hands then that will go a long way toward dispelling such accusations.

That being said, if I ever ran the way I can run online in my home games there would be nights where I would never get to play past the flop unless i was on pure bluff. Maybe it is simply the large number of hands that can be played in a short period of time online that makes the difference but in my limited experience online seems to run way more "streaky" than my home game experience with extended cold and dry periods (equivalent to 1 to 3 home games) then bam AA, AK, QQ, KK, AA all in a row before they go away for another 500 hands.

When thinking about rigging who has the means and the motivation? Well, online playspace does not have to be "random" and so many players can be "groomed" in playspace to think the game is eazy to beat if the server is programmed to complete drawing hands more often for example. The playchip masters then go over the $ side .... then there would be motivation (by online sites) to make sure the new $ player has a good early experience to be certain they become regular victims of the rake. If they sit and lose all their first outing they may never return to the online $ game.

Anytime $ is involved in anything there will be criminal activity, its simply a fact of humanity. It for certain happens on the player side online, whether or not the online sites get involved is altogether another question. One thing is for sure: the temptation and opportunity exists. But that alone is not evidence. Do I think it happens, I have no idea. Do I care, not as long as my BR, on average, grows.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I beat the hell out of tables where I've had accounts for years [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah online poker is rigged. I am a recipient of who it is rigged for. The online sites love me. I win and I can't believe it. They just dislike you and others who it is rigged against and they favor me what can I say.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

yeah online poker is rigged. I am a recipient of who it is rigged for. The online sites love me. I win and I can't believe it. They just dislike you and others who it is rigged against and they favor me what can I say.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course I am just kidding. Who would they really favor the game for. Me, you, or the next guy it just doesn't make sense. I used to think the online poker was rigged as well when I was a beginner. For the obvious reasons, I thought I was better than I was because I was on a winning streak. Then came the losing streak and some bad beats (all a part of poker) and some of those weren't even bad because I played bad. It is what it is. The big winners of poker aren't winning at a huge rate (%), If you read and study up you will see the winners of the 30/60 limit are only winning 1-3 bb/100 or something close to that. That is without making mistakes so at such a small micro stake you make a mistake or 2 which cost you more than what you did win some loose calls preflop or chasing an ill advised draw or even not betting your hand properly (ie. getting the most out of your bet getting the max you can or pushing too much, this is for NL)
Old 11-30-2007, 04:05 PM

I can't remember the exact study, but one was made regarding the human brain noticing probability - being that the human brain interprets it incorrectly. It follows a much more emotional (not the right word, but it's hard to describe) logic when deciphering probability. I'll see if I can't find it, I think I bookmarked it. If not just Google around.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:15 PM

It astounds me that someone who has been a 2+2 member for well over a year would make an OP like this.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:27 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
this also happens to me EVERY time i deposit. i run super hot and make loads for a few days then all of a sudden boooooooooom can't even make a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had the exact opposite experience--I run hot whenever I make a withdrawl. I was running 10BB/100 in LIMIT .25/.50 for the first few days after my most recent one. (Double-digit win rates are sick in limit, even at that level.)

In any case, there's no reason to assume that online cardrooms are rigging the cards.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It astounds me that someone who has been a 2+2 member for well over a year would make an OP like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disappointing isn't it.

It's actually been a question that I've had ever since I started playing poker. I knew it was probably a pretty stupid question, but I wasn't entirely ready to chalk up such a sick sick run to normal variance yet. I guess I needed someone to just say truth to my face.