Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: (razz) Cash game quiz

Hand one fold 3rd. Steal is unlikely with a live Ace in position.

Hand two check/fold 5th. You have a terrible draw and are up against a merely bad draw. If you're hung-up on having the "best" hand at the moment, then you can c/c and hope to catch good two streets. I wouldn't. Betting out gives your opponent the opportunity to make an easy raise.

Hand three fold 3rd. Calling a completion with A2K is the sort of thing that warms my heart when my opponents do it. They're spotting me one card on every street.

Hand four is marginal on 4th-7th. Either you're ahead or you're not. I usually fold Fourth, but you could call there. I'd fold Fifth, but you could call there. I'd fold Sixth, but you could call there. I'd probably call the river if I made it that far.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand four is marginal on 4th-7th. Either you're ahead or you're not.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hand is he ahead of on 5th? And I mean equity wise, not, "he's paired so my J high is currently "good"" Really, villain has to be paired AND have a bad card in the hole. If villain has A8 in the hole, he's a 3:2 favorite. If he has A6 you're way ahead, and if he has A-trash or 6-trash you're somewhat ahead, but all the rest of the time you're screwed.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:15 PM

If the ante was $3 then these hands would be much less awful.

Specifically the 3rd street call in 1/3. 4 should be a fold on 5th against almost anyone. 3 is a fold on 4th because you can get jammed easily. Don't know what your equity looks like against villain's range on 5th in hand 2 but I'd assume he's a favorite drawing to a rough 9.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:45 PM

Without readinf ahead:

Hand 1: fold 3rd
Hand 2: maybe ok because 5-handed. I might not call the raise, tho,' with none of my cards showing. Check 4th. Fold 5th.
Hand 3: fold 3rd - only play as bring-in with one caller
Hand 4: 76 sucks, inclined to fold but these cards are very live with a single opponent, so take a cautious look.

Then, I'm folding 6th and kicking myself for not folding on 5th when I was sure I was beat.

(Answers presuppose we know nothing about our opponents)
Old 09-27-2007, 08:20 PM

Hand 1. I would fold 3rd because of the small ante on Stars and you are not getting a discount in the bringin. Villain is obviously raising regardless of hole cards, so the call is not that bad.

Hand 2. A flat call on 3rd is better because your cards are dead and villain probably has a smooth 6 or close. Folding 5th to an extra bet as suggested is terrible. You are at worst a 5-3 dog.

Hand 3. Fold 3rd. You do not want to play this multiway. Fold 4th when everyone catches good.

Hand 4. Fold 4th. Villain reraised you, so he probably has wheel cards and the 6 didn't pair him. Sklansky's rule about seeing another card in a double raised pot applies if you were the reraiser and have live wheel cards. Fold 5th too, as everyone says.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2. A flat call on 3rd is better because your cards are dead and villain probably has a smooth 6 or close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does this mean you shouldn't raise? You have an equity edge vs. A26 even with the dead cards, plus he could easily be raising light 5 handed.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2. A flat call on 3rd is better because your cards are dead and villain probably has a smooth 6 or close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does this mean you shouldn't raise? You have an equity edge vs. A26 even with the dead cards, plus he could easily be raising light 5 handed.

[/ QUOTE ]
For me, with none of my cards showing, I want to be able to get out easily. With the raise, some think they HAVE to call a brick on 4th. Then you get in a mess unless things break your way very clearly. I also think unless there is some actual info on the opponent, making any assumption about what he might be raising to justify me raising is unjustifiable use of imagination.

Your mileage obviously varies.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The reraise is not bad. I think a flat call is a little better, as it doesn't tie you to the pot, and misleads your opponent. It is OK to sometimes reraise here.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This reminds me of a remark I overheard Mark Vos make during the WSOP razz event as he was making his way thru the field to the final table. He said (and I paraphrase) that he liked to be aggressive early in the hand because it made later streets much more automatic and reduced his skill disadvantage. He may not know a whole lot about the game, but at least he knew what he didn't know and sought to give himself the best chance to win. So if you are the one with skill advantage, don't be so hasty to put it into the pot along with your chips.

Excellent discussion so far, btw. I will let the thread cool down a little and then provide some answers and a hint as to the source of these hands [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2007, 12:40 PM

I'll grunch this:

Hand 1: fold 3rd street. This would be worth defending if you were the bring-in, but having to call a full bet with a ten showing, even vs a possible steal, puts you in a bad position.

Hand 2: 5th you're probably a dog, so I wouldn't bet out. You did pick up some good info with his raise, though, which allows you to make a (probably) good fold on 6th.

Hand 3: Fold 3rd street. Even though it looks like you're getting great odds, you're up against at least 2 legit hands. 4th street is even worse: everyone caught good and you're in horrible relative position: facing a bet with a 3-card hand with 2 good boards left to act. Just fold.

Hand 4: Looks OK, except I think the river is a marginal fold. He would take this line even if he paired 4th or 5th and then caught bad on 7th, so you may catch a bluff, but I don't think it will be often enough to make calling profitable. (Edit: after reading the posts above + running a sim, I'll change my opinion + agree with Rusty that 5th is a fold).