Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 08:18 AM

Default help me become a professional

whats up guys,

I want to get into sports betting as a supplement to poker income, only problem is, I am pretty much a complete newbie. I've dabble in sports betting here and there, but my picks are just educated guesses based on general understanding of the sports I bet on.

My knowledge base is just beginnner stuff like line reading,recoginzing traps and value spots, etc,etc. I see people here talking about watching/anticpating line movements, statistical analysis...just stuff way beyond my understanding.

Anyways, the reason for my post is that I want to really put effort into learning sports betting on a professional level. I am talking about the advanced stuff. I am willing to invest time/energy and a reasonable amount money.

So my question is: if you were to teach a beginner on how to sports bet on a professional level, what would be the 1st thing you would teach to this person? what kind of topics (in sequence from beginner to advanced level) would you teach him? What books would you have him read?

Like for instacne, if I were to teach a beginner how to play SNG's, I would go:

1. preflop hands requirements.
2. hand reading.
3. post flop betting
4. early level blind play
5. mid level blind play
6. late game/HU play
7. ICM/push-fold
8. advanced ICM/push-fold
9. advacned HU strategy
10. metagame strategy

Bacially, the reason I am asking this is...I have no problem in searching and digging through information to learn this stuff by myself. But the big problem I have is, I don't even know where to start and if the information I am reading is bad advice or good advice.

Your advice is much appreciated.

P.S. - are there any sports betting coaches here? if so, what are you guys charging? reviews?

- cheers!
Old 11-16-2007, 08:44 AM

Default Re: help me become a professional

there is a FAQ stickied to the top of this forum. Go through those posts.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:04 AM

Order Sharp Sports Betting by Wong, and get King Yao's book as well if you are pretty serious about this. While waiting for them to arrive, read the FAQ. Then read it again; read all the linked posts and visit the linked sites. Read all of The Well posts in this forum. Read all of the new posts here, you'll start to figure out how to separate the fluff/useless posts from the valuable information. Figure out who are the guys that really know what they're doing, and go back and search for their old posts. (Hint: just because someone's an ass doesn't mean that you can't learn from them.)

If you have questions, do as much research as you can first, and then make an intelligent post. You'll usually get some helpful responses if you show that you've spent some time on it and not just made a half-assed post.

A lot of stuff won't make sense yet but you'll be planting seeds in your mind. This is very different than learning poker because there are so many different methods and the information is not so easily available. The Wong book will help clear up a lot of things, and will kinda take you to the next level, but it is not the answer to everything. At the same time, keep reading everything you can about sports and watching lots of sports. You don't need to be an expert in a sport to make money off of it, but it certainly helps and it's part of what makes this fun. There is definitely too much out there to try and do it all, though. If you try to handicap and bet every sport, it's like trying to play 2 tables of LHE, 2 tables of NL, 2 tables of Razz, 2 tables of Stud, and 2 tables of Crazy Pineapple, all at once at different limits.

Sorry for the rambling post, and I'm definitely not qualified to really give advice on this, but this is the approach I've taken and some of the things I've learned so far.

Also, I would strongly recommend against taking any "coaching" offers that you receive. The people that are qualified to coach you would almost certainly not have any interest in doing so. (Don't take this personal, it's just the way it is.) Any offers you get would be from "touts" or people that are out to screw you.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:41 AM

That's all great advice, mogwai. Great job, and great contribution.

I will actually pull this post in to the FAQ as an answer to the general question "teach me how to bet sports" /etc.

-P
Old 11-16-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I would strongly recommend against taking any "coaching" offers that you receive. The people that are qualified to coach you would almost certainly not have any interest in doing so. (Don't take this personal, it's just the way it is.) Any offers you get would be from "touts" or people that are out to screw you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree strongly.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:02 PM

1. Gather all Poker Income
2. Move to Bermuda
3. Open BETekinnehs18 sports book
4. Send jazzy3113 a sweet sign up bonus
5. ?
6. Profit
Old 11-16-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Gather all Poker Income
2. Move to Bermuda
3. Open BETekinnehs18 sports book
4. Send jazzy3113 a sweet sign up bonus
5. Grimstarr all Lenny style
6. Profit

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-16-2007, 04:16 PM

hmmmm - the problem is not unlike teaching somebody how to play poker. You almost have to be "into" it to begin with. I don't think it is something that can be taught OR learned except for trial and error.

It is harder to beat sports gambling then it is poker.

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of it but this question is like a question on another forum.

I'd like to learn how to flip a house and have never done it and don't own any tools and no nothing about financial things.

It's something you have to just immerse yourself into and start looking for trends and idea. I've gotten pretty good at it but I've also put in literally thousands and thousand of hours on useless and meaning less trails until I find one that works for a few years.

Linesmakers are VERY good at what they do and getting better.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:17 PM

This thread is pretty bad.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:24 PM

And you did not help. Well Played