Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 02:34 PM

Default SofaMart clowns me, what to do?

So help me out here OOT. SofaMart has monumentally clowned me and I need some advice.

Last weekend my wife and I got a great deal on a floor model version of a leather sofa that originally goes for $1300. We paid $630 for it including delivery. We bought it from the "clearance" section of the store. It was being cleared out because it was a floor model and the latest line had different colors. We scheduled delivery of it for today.

So today of course the sofa doesn't arrive. I call them up to see what happened. The told me that they forgot to put the SOLD tags on the sofa when we bought it, and have re-sold and delivered the sofa to someone else. All they offered me was a lousy $200 credit and free delivery towards another sofa. I told them I wanted them to send me a current model of the sofa. They said they couldn't do that since all I had was a credit for $830 and the new model costs $1300.

I can cancel the order and get a refund, but screw that. I want the damn sofa and I want to make them pay for screwing up. Any tips on getting satisfaction? Call the local news "troubleshooter" guy? Better business burea? State attorney general?
Old 08-28-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: SofaMart clowns me, what to do?

are you serious? someone made a mistake. get a life, and find a new couch.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:38 PM

Old 08-28-2007, 02:38 PM

I believe their offer of a $200 credit is them paying for screwing up? You're so off on this being an issue for the attorney general or the local news. IMO giving you that credit is more than most of these places would offer in the same situation.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:40 PM

$200 is pretty generous IMO.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:40 PM

Only thing you can do is talk to a manager/ district manager. They might be able to put you on a list so that they call you when another floor model becomes avail. Just be nice. When it comes to stuff like this you really do catch more bees with honey.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:42 PM

Also, as a general rule, dont expect anything much from a place with the word "mart" in its name. I mean, would you buy a nice car from a place called Ferrari-Mart?
Old 08-28-2007, 02:42 PM

Wow, they gave you $200 more than most places would. This sucks, they made a mistake, but they were overly generous (32% credit!).
Old 08-28-2007, 03:02 PM

OK I've calmed down a bit. The thing is, I'm just not too impressed about a $200 credit. The list price for the floor model we got screwed on was $700. My wife and I negotiated them down to $630 plus delivery, and this was already a clearance item. I think we could negotiate $200 off their regular merchandise anyways. Thats chump change for their regular priced sofas, which start in the $1100s.

This wasn't some small mistake, like they were two hours late on delivery, or they scratched up a cushion or something. We spent all day sofa shopping, found the one we loved, worked another hour on getting the price we could afford, and now, today, on delivery day, I find out even though we bought it, its not ours and it ain't coming.

I get to watch my evening TV tonight in my collapsing folding camping chair and not my Italian leather reclining sofa.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:04 PM

Did you really find the sofa you loved? I mean, it's the [censored] clearance rack, and you negotiatied it DOWN from $700. Can't you just go back and find some other piece of [censored] in the clearance area?