Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 03:34 PM

Default 200NL Combo draw

MP is LAG. I think his pot bet means he actually has something, but not sure about that.

Call or raise, and why?

No Limit Hold'em Ring Game (6 max) , 6 players
Blinds : $1/$2

Stacks:
UTG : $189.50
MP : $254.46
Hero : $196.25
Button : $73
SB : $104.15
BB : $291.47

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP raises to $7</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($29, 4 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP bets $28</font>, Hero ???
Old 07-25-2006, 03:41 PM

Default Re: 200NL Combo draw

Call or fold, if you call then re evaluate on turn.

This is too weak a combo draw to play for stacks with, so unless you have a specific read that says he is very weak when he pots it, this is a call or fold.

If you raise and he is strong and good, he will proberly push. Calling that seems bad.

Call-&gt;&gt;fold-&gt;&gt;Raise
Old 07-25-2006, 03:46 PM

I don't fold this and I happily play for stacks.

Call/raise are both OK. Raise is part bluff/part protection for our hand, depending on what he has. Calling, you have potential to get to SD with the best hand and you have good implied odds with a 7/8. I do both depending on feel/dynamics and blah.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:46 PM

I might try a smallish raise and check behind on the turn unimproved. If he pushes I call.

Don't fold.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:48 PM

Yeah, fold was never listed as an option in the OP [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Are you guys affected by the fact that it's 4 handed vs. heads up on the flop? eg. if I just call I might get an overcall from a higher FD which would suck, or maybe his cbet represents more strength if he's aware he shouldn't bluff into 4 people.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:52 PM

I think I just call and see the turn.

You don't know what BB is going to do yet, and based on his play so far, he could still have a really wide range of hands. It's possible he'd call MP's bet, but not call a raise, and there's no point in running him out of the pot before he can put some extra chips in.

MP's pot sized bet makes me think he's got something. Your fold equity is almost zero - another argument against a raise.

You're two-pair outs may not be good as it's possible it'll give someone a straight or draw to the straight. That said, you're dealing with a gutshot, so you may be ok if they do hit.

All said, I think you've got little fold equity, and your combo draw isn't too strong. I'm calling and looking at the turn.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't fold this and I happily play for stacks

[/ QUOTE ]

With the pair and the draw I agree with Jam that this is a situation where you should be playing for stacks. I think a push is better IMO because you dont want to re-raise and have to call a push. It just seems to me that I would rather be the one pushing than calling. I personally push to either get villian to fold and not have to play the hand out or get it all in now to 1) see turn and river 2) prevent him from folding on later streets if scare cards fall. I think it all comes down to how you feel about variance and gambooling [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2006, 04:39 PM

A push is a really big overbet and is going to get a call from an overpair every time, IMO. Do we think villain can fold overpairs?

A call is fine. I probably prefer a raise in this spot, as it might fold a weaker ten from one of the other two players in the pot. I'm happily playing for stacks. Obvioulsy folding is not an option.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A push is a really big overbet and is going to get a call from an overpair every time, IMO. Do we think villain can fold overpairs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes this was the idea behind my pushing here. You get other draws ect. to fold "often" and the big PP to call. If you call and the turn completes your draw, you are not likely getting anything more from villian. The oppostite holds tru as well.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:15 PM

I think i make a raise. You called in position and got a dream flop. Raise it up. You could get some overcallers or take the pot right now, Take the initiative(sp?)