Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2006, 07:14 PM

Default Laptop problem, hopefully its not dead

Was playing earlier today on my laptop and the screen went pretty dim, I could still watch the tables with sound, but I had no control over the touchpad and no lights were on (indicating charging, power, sound, etc..) I couldnt even use the power button to turn it off so I pulled the battery and tried to restart and nothing happened. No lights indicating that the laptop was plugged in ccame on, just darkness.

After taking it apart to check for burnt transistors or any loose wiring, I put it back together and it posted with a keyboard error, (although the keyboard worked) would load up until the Windows XP screen where it would give a blue screen and restart.

Might give it one more try tomorrow and make sure I put it back together right but what could this be?

Im hoping its a short somewhere but I really think that the motherboard might be toast.

This is an emachines 6805 thats about 2.5 years old and out of warranty.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Laptop problem, hopefully its not dead

When you get the stop error (blue screen) write down the error code and look it up on the net. It will help you narrow down the cause of the problem. Post it here too.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you get the stop error (blue screen) write down the error code and look it up on the net. It will help you narrow down the cause of the problem. Post it here too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its instantaneous, I just see blue and its back to startup.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:14 PM

You most likely have a piece of hardware failing. The instantaneous stop error usually comes with a hardware conflict or failure. I imaged a PC with an image that contained hardware info that was too different and received the same result. This was a brand new PC.

So in your case something in your laptop is most likely failing. I would take it to a computer repair shop and get them to diagnose the problem, not fix it. I think many of them will diagnose the problem relatively cheaply. With laptops so cheap I wouldn't spend more than $200 to repair one. Especially if its over 2 or 3 years old.