Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 03:18 PM

Default MTT Tourney Hand

Sorry I don't have the exact hand history, but I remember it well enough (having issues in Vista with saving FTP hands). About an hour, maybe 70 minutes into a PLO8 tourney, i have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] middle-late position. Two early limpers, MP raises pot, I call, BB calls, one limper calls, other folds.

Flop comes: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets pot, original raiser calls, I call.

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Now I have nut low with set, looking in great shape. BB bets pot, original raiser goes all-in, I go all-in, BB calls.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB had 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and wins the high with the straight and original raiser has A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] x and wins the low.

Knocks me out. It seems like both are playing TOTAL garbage, 79JK to a pot raise seems obscene, and the other guy is playing a pretty marginal at best hand also.

Did I play this hand right and does that river just blow goats or did I mess up somewhere? I feel like I'm drawing amazing everywhere, maybe raise the flop?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: MTT Tourney Hand

You got unlucky on the river, but next time try re-raising preflop. 60-70 minutes into a MTT tournament the blinds are probably 50/100 or 75/150. You don't want to be calling with a suited Ace-deuce. You're trying to get heads up against the original preflop raiser. The BB played that hand like an idiot and just got lucky. Next time try to re-raise and isolate the preflop raiser. If you get callers like the BB and the original raiser (with similar holdings), you will more often than not take down a big pot against opponents who take a gut shot straight draw and 3rd nut low to the bank. Brush it off. It happens at the micro/low limits all the time my friend (assuming that's what you're playing...just like me).

AC
Old 06-04-2007, 05:41 PM

RAISE THE FLOP. go nuts wit it
edit: w/o stack sizes its difficult for me to decide whether u can just call or raise with this hand
but with the amount of potting pf and flop with the calls, u should be able to go AI or close to it on the flop which i think is the correct play
Old 06-04-2007, 06:27 PM

potting the flop is certainly correct. You have a strong made hand and additional cards don't really hurt your hand. Even if your low gets counterfeited, you'll likely win the high half. We pot here because there are a bunch of draws that we'd love to have call us. AA34 will likely feel justified in calling as might 9TQx, etc. We want all those people to put their money in now while they think they have correct odds to either draw, or to believe that their weaker made hand is still good. (A lot harder for AA34 to call if the turn is a 9 or a ten.) Does that make sense?

However, I probably fold this pf. Your hand isn't that strong, especially in PL game. You're far too likely to be in a situation where you feel you have to call a pot bet on the flop because you've flopped a low draw. And, of course, with just the A-2, your low draw isn't even that good (as evidenced by your HH).

This reads a lot like a bad beat post. In general, you should refrain from giving results when you post hands here. In often inhibits thoughtful discussion. Also, stop reporting the HH at the point you wish discussed. For instance, in this hand I would have ended with:

...raises pot, I call, BB calls, one limper calls, other folds.

Flop comes: 5 8 J

BB bets pot, original raiser calls, I.....

Reporting the HH this way allows people to know where you are confused and helps them cut to constructive advise. Also, when reporting hands from tournaments or NL/PL cash games, you always want to give relevant stack information. As I said, your PF call was probably incorrect, but given deep enough stacks (300+ Big blinds) it could be worth a call.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:36 PM

Excellent response.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:47 PM

PLEASE POT STACK SIZES. THIS IS A PL GAME!!!
happy b-day cardsharpcook!!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:26 AM

wow pot on flop please?