Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 03:48 PM

Default $114: Trash out of BB against loose donk

Villain was limping a lot...pretty much my only read. This okay? If you don't like it, how would you prefer to play it?

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1775)
CO (t5730)
Button (t1640)
SB (t3270)
Hero (t1085)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, CO calls t200, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero checks

Flop: (t500) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t300</font>, CO calls t300

Turn: (t1100) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t585 (All-in)</font>
Old 11-19-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: $114: Trash out of BB against loose donk

I would most likely chk/fold and go batshit preflop for the next couple hands instead.

Note I am way out of my league in posting in this thread.

What is your reasoning for making the play you did? Something like, 'his limping range is pretty wide, you have a pair, odds are he doesn't, and he's an idiot, lets go for it?'.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:15 PM

I would be somewhat surprised if just shoving pre wouldn't be profitable here. Experimenting a bit, it looks like you could shove if you expect him to fold more than half his limps here, which would likely be the case given read. Obviously, I'd be a bit more suspicious toward a regular/aggressive player limping in this spot.

Oops, wrongly assumed SB limp here, not CO, so same logic applies, but I would expect to get called more often, so prob check pre. On the flop, against a wide limper, I think you're good enough to get it in, but you'd probably prefer the fold equity of the shove to the value of a check-raise. Do you think spreading the bet out over two streets gives you any better shot of winning, assuming you're not folding under any circumstance?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:17 PM

i don't think your have enough chips to even make a flop bet. its push or fold time here. And i think it correct to push. Although, very odd that someone with the chip lead is flat calling the short stack...Smells like a trap. But with the previous information of him doing this repetitively well...I;m leaning towards a push. If he was slow playing you with AA or something like that your not in terrible terrible shaoe you got the gut shot + 2x 4's + 3x 7's so its not the end of the world.
I'm thinking - with no math mind you - that a push here is pos +ev if you can win the pot outright 35% of the time. So i think you did it. If you flopped a monster then i might bet a resonable amount but it is fishy.

unless...you've played with him alot and had some read that he'd 5th level think your small raise was actually a monster hand and you had a great chance of him folding plus giving you odds to call with your gut shot/two pair draw
Old 11-19-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be somewhat surprised if just shoving pre wouldn't be profitable here. Experimenting a bit, it looks like you could shove if you expect him to fold more than half his limps here, which would likely be the case given read. Obviously, I'd be a bit more suspicious toward a regular/aggressive player limping in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's absolutely no way he folds 50% of the time.

I'd shove flop after getting a piece of it.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:25 PM

I think shoving pf is terrible. The chipleader is not going to fold nearly enough, you're only shoving 5bbs, and he's obviously ahead of your range. I would be surprised if he folded much more than 0% of the time.

As for your line, I don't care for it much either. If you're lucky and he's drawing, he's probably got 2 overs and isn't a big dog. I would prefer to just shove the flop and really push out draws. Though I think your hand is weak enough to just check/fold.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:41 PM

Shoving the flop was my first inclination, but I thought that leading out for 300 would look a little stronger and would let him know I was committed to the hand. I mean, if I think I'm behind, I can usually give myself 9 outs, and I figured I had a fair amount of FE since he's limping a lot of hands that didn't connect with that flop.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:46 PM

If he's really bad, his flat call on the flop tells me that he's probably got overcards. I think you're good here.