Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 02:26 PM

Default HU sb vs bb

Its been awhile since Iv played an MMT or read Sklanskys tournament book so I need a refresh. This hand seems out of line to me is PF too aggressive? On the flop do you like the c/r > c/f or open push. Villan is a bit loose him self but not bad at all.

Poker Stars, $10 + $1 NL Hold'em Tournament, 100/200 Blinds, 8 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): 8,170
BB: 6,455
UTG: 10,560
UTG+1: 9,840
MP1: 4,500
MP2: 6,305
CO: 6,585
BTN: 3,385

Pre-Flop: (300) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
7 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to 600</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to 1,000</font>, Hero calls 400

Flop: (2,000) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets 1,000</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to 6,000</font>,
Old 10-10-2007, 07:13 AM

Default Re: HU sb vs bb

blinds vs blinds are very read-dependent. has he defended his blind against you before? does he seem like an aggressive player who would re-raise your raise just b/c he figures you're stealing? Have you been stealing a lot?

his PF raise could mean that he actually has something or he could just be defending his blind. his 1/2 pot flop bet could just be an empty continuation bet or he might have something.

I like the aggression you showed here by raising PF. I like the idea of your aggression against his flop bet, but you only left yourself about 1170 behind. might as well push all in if you're going to do that. also, you've got a draw to the flush, but it's not the nut flush. I hope you had some read that he was just overly aggressive. otherwise, I think you picked a bad spot to show your own aggression.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Re: HU sb vs bb

Is it worth stealing blinds at the 100/200 level? I'm not a big fan of blind stealing in the early-middle levels of mtts. Call or fold preflop, unless you know the BB is a very tight player, then the raise was correct.