Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 08:05 AM

Default Lower back hurts. Permenant problem or short term?

My lower back started to hurt yesterday when I was buying a TV stand for my new 46" 1080P LCD (not a thin veiled brag). It aches when I stand up but it's not that noticable. However, when I bend down, I can definately feel a midly sharp pain. There could be 3 reasons for this:

1. Lifting heavy objects. I've been working out recently nd I guess that tv stand finally broke the camel's back.

2. Cheap IKEA mattress. It's total cost came around $300.

3. If anyone has built an IKEA bed, they should be familiar with the seemingly useless metal wires at the bottom of the bedframe. I did not put this as I thought it was a waste of time. Maybe I should? Honestly, I can't see the difference those wires would make. Although this and #2 can be discounted because my roommate has the same mattress and we also didn't put the bottom wires at the bottom and he has no problems.

Anyways, the pain has been there for about 2 days and counting. Should I be worried? It's nothing big, I can still do most activities (although I have laid off working out). I really hope it's not permanent.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Lower back hurts. Permenant problem or short term?

most likely number 1: give it a few more days, try using a heating pad on it or something in the evening. avoid lifting objects during this time.

if it still hurts after ~3 more days maybe go see a doctor.

ps im not a doctor
Old 10-18-2007, 08:13 AM

also, how old are you? did you notice a change in the pain as you picked up the tv?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:17 AM

I am 20 years old. I noticed it right after I put the tv down.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:36 AM

mused,

when I was 21 and in college I hurt my back playing basketball. nothing major, just some sharp pains when I bent too much. still went about my normal day. thought it would go away, so i took some ibuprofen and was done with it. or so i thought.

few days later i drop my toothbrush and bend over to reach for it and feel the worst pain in my life. I can't get back up. Somehow I manage to hobble over to my phone and call Health Services and tell them to send an ambulence. They had to cart me out of my room on a gurney.

This isn't supposed to happen, I'm not 50, I work out daily, how can I have an old man bad back?

Well, it has now been over two years and I still have to physical therapy and daily stretching or else it starts to get back. Long car and plane rides usually involve pain killers and I have a hard time sleeping in certain positions, constantly tossing and turning at night.

Maybe if I had taken it easy and just laid down after the initial pain. Maybe if I had seen a doctor and gotten some muscle relaxants. Maybe...

Basically, get do everything you possibly can to cut this off before it blows up.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:46 AM

Most likely a muscle strain of some sort. Rest for a few days and see how it feels. Stretch it out (if you feel out of the ordinary pain stop). If it doesn't feel better in a few days, see a doctor. If you notice any numbness or pain in your legs get the doctor.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my new 46" 1080P LCD

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cheap IKEA mattress. It's total cost came around $300.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kids today.

Dude, give that mattress to a homeless shelter, bring back the TV, and go get a Sleep Number bed.

You won't miss the TV, because you'll be so busy sleeping.

And you won't have any back pain.

I understand Dilaudid is very good for back pain. See if your doctor will give you any, and then PM me ASAP, and I'll go pick up the prescription for you.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:09 AM

Just barely skimmed this, but my ex/best friend had bad bad lower back probs for about 2 yrs on and off. He went to doctors, chiropractors, the whole 9 yards. Finally, after about the 5th chiropractor he found one that suggested it was his mattress (which I always told him was awful but he said was comfortable to him), anyways, he told him to try the couch for a few days and see if the pain stopped (sometimes it was so awful he couldnt do his hobbies, etc.) and to his total shock it did! So out went his mattress and problem is cured so far!!! So i wouldnt write out the mattress as a serious possibility, you do spend almost a large portion of your day/life on it!!

its honestly probably from working out, you probably strained something and that can take up to a week and even sometimes two (if bad enough). If it doesnt go away in a few weeks have it checked, but either way change that mattress ASAP, even if you have to make payments on a new one!! And just because your roomie doesnt have back probs doesnt mean you wont, everyones backs are different AND you sleep differently, along with your bodies just being different!!

GET A NEW MATTRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides it can only be good for girls as well.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2007, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just barely skimmed this, but my ex/best friend had bad bad lower back probs for about 2 yrs on and off. He went to doctors, chiropractors, the whole 9 yards. Finally, after about the 5th chiropractor he found one that suggested it was his mattress (which I always told him was awful but he said was comfortable to him), anyways, he told him to try the couch for a few days and see if the pain stopped (sometimes it was so awful he couldnt do his hobbies, etc.) and to his total shock it did! So out went his mattress and problem is cured so far. So i wouldnt write out the mattress as a serious possibility, you do spend almost a large portion of your day/life on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just barely skimmed this, but my ex/best friend had bad bad lower back probs for about 2 yrs on and off. He went to doctors, chiropractors, the whole 9 yards. Finally, after about the 5th chiropractor he found one that suggested it was his mattress (which I always told him was awful but he said was comfortable to him), anyways, he told him to try the couch for a few days and see if the pain stopped (sometimes it was so awful he couldnt do his hobbies, etc.) and to his total shock it did! So out went his mattress and problem is cured so far. So i wouldnt write out the mattress as a serious possibility, you do spend almost a large portion of your day/life on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp.

[/ QUOTE ]

what was wrong?? i dont see it?? wow im dumb...