Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: San Fransisco bans Plastic bags from Grocery stores

[ QUOTE ]
At what square footage does love it or leave it become valid?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a good question. I've always wondered why some AC'ists are so quick to cry "ZOMG!! Love it or leave it argument is teh lamez!" when that idea is a pretty big component of capitalism. I'm sure the answer for a practical AC'ist like AlexM is something like "as small as I can get away with".
Old 11-27-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Conservatives simply like to micro-manage other peoples' lives -- no surprise... Government says to use "religion X" morals, you use "religion X." Maybe it's easier for some people to live that way -- I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hippies don't have a monopoly on dumb legislation micro-managing your life. Does it get any more stupid than conservatives outlawing certain kinds of sex between consensual adults?

I'm glad to see a couple AC'ists break from the fundamentalist ranks and admit that in the real world this is pretty much a non-issue if you don't live in SF.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, I'm not an ACist. I'm just a crazy person that doesn't think the city should be able to [censored] with private business.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:12 PM

Wow. I can't believe so many people think this is a bad idea.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just a crazy person that doesn't think the city should be able to [censored] with private business.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are getting a little extreme here. First of all ,yes the city SHOULD be able to "mess" with private buisness. This is a good thing. I'm stretching here but should a buisness be allowed to dump toxic waste in your parks? Should the city step in when a restaurant is serving rotten dog meat? I think yes.

I do not agree that the cost should be places on the businesses though ..but it dosn't have to. Simply charge the customer for these costly more "green" bags. If the customer dosn't want to pay then they can bring their own bags/boxes.

Side note - Politics aside, if you don't think trying to minimize creation of plastic bags is a good thing then you are ignorant at best.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should the city step in when a restaurant is serving rotten dog meat?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I want to eat rotten dogmeat soup, who are you to stop me?

natedogg
Old 11-28-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I dont want to get into the politics of it ( my goal is really just to express that I think banning plastic bags is a good idea) i will try to answer the question:

1.Because over 50% of your peers do not want rotten dog meat to be served in restaurants just in case they eat it by mistake or in case it contaminates other foods at the restaurant. This is a democracy , its not perfect but its better than most ways.
2. This is more a Canadian view- Because your peers don't want to subsidize your trip to the hospital.
3. If you want rotten dog meat then do it in your own home.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the record, I'm not an ACist. I'm just a crazy person that doesn't think the city should be able to [censored] with private business.

[/ QUOTE ]
See also every other law. No murder? You're messing with my hitman private practice. No poker? What about my bankroll? No prostitution? But what will mom do now?

If you're not an anarchist, then chances are you really do want to mess with private business to some degree. You just draw the line somewhere different than the folks of the fine city of San Francisco do.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I dont want to get into the politics of it ( my goal is really just to express that I think banning plastic bags is a good idea) i will try to answer the question:

1.Because over 50% of your peers do not want rotten dog meat to be served in restaurants just in case they eat it by mistake or in case it contaminates other foods at the restaurant. This is a democracy , its not perfect but its better than most ways.
2. This is more a Canadian view- Because your peers don't want to subsidize your trip to the hospital.
3. If you want rotten dog meat then do it in your own home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I pay you to come to my home and cook me some rotten dogmeat soup?

Also, are there any things that should NOT happen even though 51% of the voters may support it?

natedogg
Old 11-28-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See also every other law. No murder? You're messing with my hitman private practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a valid argument. "Private business" means trade of goods and services. You can have business and exclude violence.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
See also every other law. No murder? You're messing with my hitman private practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a valid argument. "Private business" means trade of goods and services. You can have business and exclude violence.

[/ QUOTE ]
See also the other two examples I listed. I'm not sure how you could read my post and infer that I define private business as "only ones that include violence" unless you're trying REALLY hard.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I pay you to come to my home and cook me some rotten dogmeat soup?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. If I know that it will harm you, even if I know YOU KNOW it will, it leaves me in a tight spot. All of a sudden things like euthenasia come into play. Tough. I would decline on moral grounds. I also think that I should be bounded by some laws ( Im thinking of that case in germany where one guy signed a contract saying that he gives the other guy permission to kill and him eat)

[ QUOTE ]
Also, are there any things that should NOT happen even though 51% of the voters may support it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the obvious answer is no. Majority rules I guess. This is a very deep question that I'm sure has been debated ad naseum by people a lot smarter than myself. My take is that the 50% rule is the best humans have come up with , the problem is that some voters are not as informed as others. When people are ignorant/propogandianzied than 50%+ rule can be dangerous.