Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Help me find a new car (20kish)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really really like my new Honda Civic Hybrid. Its a bit above your price range, but its worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hybrids are a waste of money w/o the tax break.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. With the $2000 tax credit it saves you money.
2. I personally believe gas costs more than we pay for it, so I think hybrids are worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

the mileage isnt that much greater than a normal decent (toyota/honda) gas engine, and you are paying about 10% more. I thought the tax break was over, but apparently not, so its not as [censored] of a deal as I thought.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:46 PM

I love the 04 and up acura TLs - but they might be a bit out of your range
Old 07-23-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for a new or used car that's around 20k. I'm willing to pay a bit more if it's really the car I want but I'd be happy with a car that is cheaper if it means getting a quality car. Ideally I'd like this car to last me 6years+
Gas/Insurance is a fairly big concern because I'll be on a budget when school starts again

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're that worried about the cost of gas & insurance, you shouldn't be spending 20k on a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting help with the cost of the car but not with future gas/insurance. Any different?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're going to buy a new car be a balla and get something sweet looking instead of the ugly crap you've mentioned so far. buying a new low or mid level car instead of used seems pretty silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not overly concerned about being a "balla" or anything but in the OP, I never mentioned any problems with buying a used car. If I do buy used though I'd like to save some money. I really would love a TSX but they are a bit over my price range, but maybe as the 08s roll out they will come down a bit. An RSX Type-S seems like a good idea for a used that's within my current price range.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for a new or used car that's around 20k. I'm willing to pay a bit more if it's really the car I want but I'd be happy with a car that is cheaper if it means getting a quality car. Ideally I'd like this car to last me 6years+
Gas/Insurance is a fairly big concern because I'll be on a budget when school starts again

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're that worried about the cost of gas & insurance, you shouldn't be spending 20k on a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting help with the cost of the car but not with future gas/insurance. Any different?

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean it all depends...what would you do with a $12k car and $8k in cash?

what is your personal financial situation?

how much do you care about looking cool vs not being in debt?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:16 PM

I'd rather not be in debt hence some of my "unballa" car likes. I think I could probably do both though there's certainly some good used cars out there for around 12kish allowing me to save some money. I was backing away from the 20k figure to begin with in attempt to save some money that's why I was looking at the rabbit, lancer & civic lx.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you're going to buy a new car be a balla and get something sweet looking instead of the ugly crap you've mentioned so far. buying a new low or mid level car instead of used seems pretty silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not overly concerned about being a "balla" or anything but in the OP, I never mentioned any problems with buying a used car. If I do buy used though I'd like to save some money. I really would love a TSX but they are a bit over my price range, but maybe as the 08s roll out they will come down a bit. An RSX Type-S seems like a good idea for a used that's within my current price range.

[/ QUOTE ]

my point was that if you are concerned at all about the price; buy used. if not, don't buy ugly crap. imo the only reason to buy new instead of used is to show off. i wouldn't do that, but i can understand it.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:24 PM

yeah, dont mean to be a nit, just saying that personal finance wise, a car is a pretty horrible place to put your money. I think if you're making good money and are in a good financial spot then you should go ahead and buy a sweet car. but for a student, who's worried about gas & insurance, it just seems to me that putting that money almost anywhere else would be a smarter move.

if I was in your shoes I'd be primarily interested in a car that's going to run well, like an older Civic or Accord or something from Toyota. buy a nice car when you're making money.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really really like my new Honda Civic Hybrid. Its a bit above your price range, but its worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2. I personally believe gas costs more than we pay for it, so I think hybrids are worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

the mileage isnt that much greater than a normal decent (toyota/honda) gas engine, and you are paying about 10% more. I thought the tax break was over, but apparently not, so its not as [censored] of a deal as I thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hybrid gets 49/51 vs 30/40 or less for the other Civics. Getting an extra 15 mpg is pretty decent. I'll average about 15000 miles/year so thats 300 gallons vs 430 gallons. Assume $3/gallon over the next 5 years and thats almost $2000. Add the $2000 tax credit and its easily as good of a deal as a normal civic. I'm not sure how maintenance costs will compare, although I would guess the hybrid is more expensive.

Saving 100+ gallons of fuel is worth it to me anyway. On top of that its only a matter of time before all cars go hybrid (there's nothing special about them, its just a way to improve the efficiency of the gas engine by storing energy that is usually wasted) and I feel by buying the hybrid now I encourage companies to invest in improving the technology.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hybrid gets 49/51 vs 30/40 or less for the other Civics. Getting an extra 15 mpg is pretty decent. I'll average about 15000 miles/year so thats 300 gallons vs 430 gallons. Assume $3/gallon over the next 5 years and thats almost $2000. Add the $2000 tax credit and its easily as good of a deal as a normal civic. I'm not sure how maintenance costs will compare, although I would guess the hybrid is more expensive.

Saving 100+ gallons of fuel is worth it to me anyway. On top of that its only a matter of time before all cars go hybrid (there's nothing special about them, its just a way to improve the efficiency of the gas engine by storing energy that is usually wasted) and I feel by buying the hybrid now I encourage companies to invest in improving the technology.

[/ QUOTE ]

can i get your thoughts on a car i'm considering purchasing that gets about 10MPG around town?