Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Thin Value Bet @ Turning Stone

15/30 at Turning Stone. Game is really loose passive. Lots of old east coasters which means a lot of bad limit hold'em. Only two tight TAGs in the game both of whom limped. 4 limps and I have KK in the cutoff. I raise, BB calls, and the 4 limpers call.

Flop: 6d 6s Qd

A loose passive player who'd limped UTG (old guy) bets out after the BB checked. The other loose passive guy, and both TAGs fold. I call. BB folds. This guy's was anything from diamonds, to a 6 or a Q, maybe even a hand like 55. I didn't have enough information yet, I could beat most of the hands in his range, and I didn't want to get c/r from the BB.

Turn: 6s 6d Qd Ac

He bets again. I call again. Situation is still about the same. A player like him still might bet here w/ 55, but probably would slow down at this point. Now, I can't beat the nut diamond draw. So, his range is still fairly wide enough for my hand to be able to win...I think?

River: 6s 6d Qd Ac 6c

He bets. I raise. He calls. He shows a Q and mucks. The third 6 lowers the possibility of him having a 6, so I can eliminate that, and the only hands that are in his range are possibly busted diamonds, the nut diamond draw, or hands like QT. So, I raised for value. Too thin maybe?
Old 05-17-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Thin Value Bet @ Turning Stone

Raise the flop and make life easier on yourself.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:44 PM

Played perfectly IMO.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. I like OP's line, though the A makes it more complicated.

One of my favorite lines to take is: I have an overpair and position, the flop comes paired, like 883, J22, whatever (this case is similar, Q66) and the OOP opponent bets out; I like to call flop, call turn, raise river. Whether or not I would change my plan when an ace hits and he still bets the turn and river, I don't know. But I like it in theory, because I do this a lot.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
One of my favorite lines to take is: I have an overpair and position, the flop comes paired, like 883, J22, whatever (this case is similar, Q66) and the OOP opponent bets out; I like to call flop, call turn, raise river. Whether or not I would change my plan when an ace hits and he still bets the turn and river, I don't know. But I like it in theory, because I do this a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice! I love this line too, especially with AA. With KK, I like it a lot too, though I'm more prone to (sometimes) reconsidering when an A hits. In this spot, an A is a pretty unlikely holding for your one opponent there, unless he has A6, in which case you were beat anyway, or maaaaybe AQ. I think a worse Q or a busted draw comprises most of his range, and it's a pretty cool raise on the river. The 6 was actually a very good card for you.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:16 PM

I thought I liked OPs line when I first read the hand. But if his real fear is the BB springing to life, then it is better to just put the raise in on the flop.

The Ace on the turn is a truly awful card.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:19 PM

Even with the two diamonds out there ? Don't we correctly give a lot of hands a chance to catch up ? I mean 5d5c is being given a chance to catch up. I agree much more with this when the board has 1 diamond.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:24 PM

nh. well played. This is a river spot I encounter on occasion where I would love to raise but never do because I talk myself into thinking that he has Axd or something.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:31 PM

This line is not currently in my repertoire. Thanks.

Just to confirm my first impression:
This line works best
1. Against a LAGtard
2. If they board is rainbow and not connected.
3. Is HU
4. There are 1 or 0 overcard to my PP that could come.

Correct?