Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 08:37 AM

Default People who play internet backgammon are poor sports

For those of you not familiar with the game, when you have an advantage, you can double the stakes of the game. This would be like if Roger Federer were up 5 games to 1 over Blake, he could say, "alright. If you want to continue playing this set, Blake, then this set is worth two sets. OK? Or do you want to forfeit this set now and move on to the next set?" It is slightly more complicated than that because if I say, "double or forfeit" and my opponent agrees to double, then later in the match should the tides turn, he can make it quadruple whereas I no longer have that option. Point is, when you get your opponent into an absolutely dominated position, it is good sportsmanship to double because it saves them the embarrassment of having to resign (another backgammon option that means - "I give up. You take this one, we'll play another"). However, 80% of the time, these damn internet backgammon players simply accept the double and refuse to resign even when the only way they could possibly win is if they roll 5 double 6s in a row. Other times, it is mathematically impossible for them to win, I've already doubled them, and yet still they make me play it out - rolling the die an unnessessary X number of times and moving my pieces to home. It's frigging annoying.

I just played this guy.... I had 3 of his pieces in jail, 5 of the 6 exits blocked with a high likelyhood of blocking the 6th and final exit on my next roll AND I was 50% closer to home overall. So I double. AND HE ACCEPTS!!! GOD DAMN IT!!! IT IS SOOOO OBVIOUS THAT I WIN THIS ONE@!!! Just resign and be done with it!!! So I roll the die, block the final exit because one of my 2 die (or the combination of the 2 die) equaled 3,4,5,or 8. Proceeded to move all my pieces to the exit area. Vacated the 6 hole, 5 hole, 4 hole.... and then he catches his one and only shot at salvation... I roll double 3s as I'm vacating the 4 hole forcing me to leave an unprotected piece in the 3 hole. He rolls his 33% shot 3. UGH!!! So we spend the next ten minutes with him desperately trying to send that guy back to jail while leaving himself horribly unprotected. Finally I break through - send another of his pieces to jail, reach a safe zone, he exits jail past my piece completely ending any chance of his winning..... and then he just leaves. No "goodbye", "good game", or the customary offer of resignation... he just leaves. THAT MOTHER FFFFFF>........ GOD DAMN IT!!! EVER SINCE HE ACCEPTED THE DOUBLE I"VE WANTED TO LEAVE, BUT PLAYED IT OUT BECAUSE HE WANTED TO!!!!! AND KNOW HE LEAVES!@!@!@!@!???!?11110001!?!?@)!!

Internet backgammon players suck. Oh, and then those ccksuckers who respond to my saying, "Good Game" by saying, "It was Luck." (with Internet Backgammon provided by windows, you have about 20 different phrases to choose from. Obviously, "It was Luck" is something you're supposed to humbly say after a close game, but these fckers are using it to give me the finger!

BAH!!!
Old 07-21-2007, 08:46 AM

Default Re: People who play internet backgammon are poor sports

If you're not playing backgammon for money, its not real, so lighten up.

And if you are playing BG for real $$ on the internet, you're not very smart either.

BG is a great game tho...

L8r.. BB
Old 07-21-2007, 09:28 AM

You're not bright either way. If this was for money clearly this guy was a fish.

If it wasn't for money, this is the equivalent of playing poker for play chips. Are you expecting world-class play? I think you'll fit in well with these opponents however.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:31 AM

I award this OP 100 points and the grade of A.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:21 AM

CSC,

"People who play internet backgammon are poor sports"

Ya, but internet cribbage players are just down right cheats.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:25 AM

After reading this:

" it is good sportsmanship to double because it saves them the embarrassment of having to resign "

and the rest... this post was a spoof, right?
Old 07-21-2007, 12:33 PM

playing MS backgammon, and complaining about it, is pretty stupid. Sorry.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:35 PM

I certainly can't think of any other games played on the Internet where a lot of people are poor sports.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:55 PM

CSC,
nh.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:11 PM

Seems like CSC is the poor sport for being so distraught over someone who wants to play it out.

Also, I think in internet-chess I quickly got into the habit of saying 'GG' only after I lost.
Kind of like not gloating at the table after raking a pot.

Also, do you really need your chat responded to that much in an internet-game? In internet-poker I blow off all kinds of 'NH' and 'GG' (in SNG's especially) all the damn time if I'm multi-tabling or if I just plain-old don't feel like responding.

I'm surprised CSC would get so offended by the guy just leaving.