Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Your thoughts on food eating contests

cliff notes at bottom.

i was reading a post in OOT about a prop bet regarding taco bell which reminded me of thoughts when i see food eating contests. for example, the new record for eating hotdogs in 12 minutes is 59.5. the coney island hotdog contest is coming up july 4. its been won by a little asian guy the past couple year. how he does it i dont know.

i have problems with this. there are people starving in the world and we, americans, make it a sport to gouge oursevles for money. i see it in the news; just about any food imaginable is game. the winner is always so proud of himself. the contestants are lined up like pigs at a huge table as if they were in a animal feeding trough.

i have stomach issues. constantly nausaes(sp), no appetite, 2-3 days without eating, and vomiting water many times a day. ive been to the doctors; was told it was acid reflux, took the medicines and it didnt do anything. im a skinny guy. i cant afford to lose weight.

ive even gone back to a younger habit of smoking herb to get an appetite and ease the stomach pain. it helps alittle but its hard to find my in backassward town. ive lost contant with my "get high with alittle help with my friends." katy, i would have been on the back of the bus with you and your bros. but i digress.

in summary, it think its irresponsible, disgusting, and disturbing that contestansts practice for this type of thing and people like watching this sort of gluttony. add to the fact that food makes me sick and welcome to my nightmare.

edit: i didnt add to the discussion that we are a nation of fat asses but will save that for another thread.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Your thoughts on food eating contests

[ QUOTE ]
i have problems with this. there are people starving in the world and we, americans, make it a sport to gouge oursevles for money.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a contest... you don't like it, don't watch...

Btw, do you feel the same way about your TV, or even the money in your pocket? (plenty of people don't have those things) Cause if you do, there are plenty of places that would take your donation.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:58 PM

I think eating contests are stupid but have no ethical problem with them. Actually I always wonder if this is the year some dude will choke to death at the Nathans hot dog eating contest. Do they like have doctors on hand to give the heimlich or something? It just doesn't seem very safe to me, cramming all those hot dogs in your mouth at once.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think eating contests are stupid but have no ethical problem with them. Actually I always wonder if this is the year some dude will choke to death at the Nathans hot dog eating contest. Do they like have doctors on hand to give the heimlich or something? It just doesn't seem very safe to me, cramming all those hot dogs in your mouth at once.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are professional food eaters... they train all year for this...

Do not attempt to replicate at home.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:23 PM

I think there should be a certain level of respect for the contestants because as Sniper states, they do train all year for these events. The effort put into their "skill" is pretty amazing, IMO.

Of course, I still get kind of sick watching it, but it's pretty amazing to watch.

T
Old 06-22-2007, 07:32 PM

The main attraction to me seems to be exactly how perverse it is. How could it be a "sport" otherwise? It would just be some guy chowing.

Not sure if this should be considered a sport, though. People do other perverse things, too, and maybe things like this should just be called something else. A feat, or something. Like sticking 50 cigarettes in your mouth or something. Maybe after a while you learn to really relax your jaw and get one, then two, then three more in. Well, you have a physical component, but ... I think a sport requires you do something athletic not just use your body. That's why pool isn't a sport. Takes plenty of skill and finesse, sure. Does that make the players athletes? Not hardly.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:43 PM

I used to love watching the eating contests no HDnet or whatever taht channel used to be, I love the commentary from the two goofy dudes, it makes teh show
Old 06-22-2007, 07:50 PM

i think they are incredibly stupid, but to each his own.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there should be a certain level of respect for the contestants because as Sniper states, they do train all year for these events. The effort put into their "skill" is pretty amazing, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respect them as much as any other stupid thing put on TV and called sport, like monster trucks, strongest man, and all X-sports. That is, none at all.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

in summary, it think its irresponsible, disgusting, and disturbing that contestansts practice for this type of thing and people like watching this sort of gluttony. add to the fact that food makes me sick and welcome to my nightmare.

edit: i didnt add to the discussion that we are a nation of fat asses but will save that for another thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I'm looking forward to your thread - "We Are A Nation Of Fat Asses!" What an awesome title.

Oh, and I'm with you on the gluttony thing, mattw. I think it's disgusting and disturbing too. I cannot watch that kind of stuff. Makes me sick to my stomach even just thinking about it. blechh.