Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 01:30 AM

Default $22 SNG: How bad was this played

Is this what they mean by turning your hand into a bluff with the river raise? I've been focusing on raising these "apparent" river blocking bets lately, but this seems like a bad spot in retrospect. Flop raise amount sucks as well...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 (t1690)
MP3 (t1390)
CO (t2190)
Button (t980)
SB (t1120)
BB (t1920)
Hero (t1310)
UTG+1 (t1430)
MP1 (t1470)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB calls t50, BB calls t40.

Flop: (t180) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t40</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t120</font>, SB calls t80.

Turn: (t420) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t420) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t80</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t320, ...
Old 11-23-2007, 01:38 AM

Default Re: $22 SNG: How bad was this played

I am limping this more often than not pf in level 1, but raising is ok.

On the flop I would raise to pot - you have a big hand and want to play a big pot - there are a billion draws on them, since we have the nuts with a blocking club (and 2nd nut club) we arent worried about bare queens, but I still raise here to juice the draws hard

On the turn I would bet again, some people make the mistake of putting their opponents on hands they beat, others make the mistake of putting opponents on hands that beat them.

Is his river bet a 'blocking bet' or does it just tell you 'im a donk' (along with his flop minbet.) He can easily have Ac Tx, Ax Tc, Tc Qx here ... then again he can have KT, JT ... another reason I bet the turn. After his passive line and river lead I think just call the river - the time to make this pot bigger was flop or turn, no use being a late bloomer when he finally gets 'agressive' with his 80 chip bet
Old 11-23-2007, 01:44 AM

I dont like raising this preflop from utg or really getting involved with AQ this early. Ill occasionally limp with this from later positions though. As played though, you hit the nuts which is tight, but there is a flush draw on the board which sb could very well be drawing into and you gave him the odds to do just that. reraise to say say 200 or so. i might continue betting the turn to see where im at but checking is fine too. I doubt he hit a full house on the river although it is a possibility and there is a flush possibility as well, so it sucks hitting the nuts on the flop and then having to only call his weak bet on the river but thats most likely the line i would take.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:48 AM

nh Scotty, beatty

on turn...
what amount would you bet? fold to CR i am sure
Old 11-23-2007, 02:08 AM

300 ish would be fine
Old 11-23-2007, 01:45 PM

its a tough spot because it hurts your stack a lot if he check raises you but im probably putting in around 300 in on the turn like scotty said and folding to a push or reraise
Old 11-23-2007, 01:55 PM

Again, I am much more aggressive than most, but I raise preflop, raise the flop to about 200. On the turn I bet 300. I want to play a big pot and this hits opponents range nicely. I really think checking the turn is tragic because he so rarely has a flush and there are a ton of scare cards that could come.

As played, I would raise the river and fold to a re-raise. You just don't get enough good hands and good flops in an STT to not get value when they come.