Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2007, 04:10 AM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
its LaRoche or Tejada tradewise...otherwise well end up with some FA scrub or maybe Crede

[/ QUOTE ]

or that scrub barry bonds
Old 11-10-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kennedy + Cano + Melky + Some good prospect I don't know about...how short of cabrera is that

EDIT- forgot cano sry kyleb

so ya how short is that? I would do that... cano is close to replaceable... and melky is easily replaced and improved upon

[/ QUOTE ]

Cano is the least replaceable of all the Yankee trade candidates.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cano is not easily replaceable are you nuts. he is a 10 WARP3 player at second base and is arb-eligible.

[/ QUOTE ]

i never said this, I said close to replaceable... and I didn't mean long term or in terms of money... I just meant this coming years production

Miguel could be in GOAT caegory as a hitter, and he's still young giving up cano shouldn't be deemed as so bad by u guys, since the player we'd be getting in the blockbuster deal is also a young guy

The whole we need pitching, agreed but kennedy's production for this coming year is also easily replaceable, and come 2009 1 or 2 big name FA SP will be signed....

and it's not an irrational hate for melky... he's just not good enough to be a starting CF for the yankees... maybe in a couple years, but I don't wanna wait that long if he has to start in the mean time... plus with the defensive scrubs we have at the corners WE NEED A BETTER DEFENSIVE CF
Old 11-10-2007, 12:28 PM

Sublime,
I'm just gonna put it in this thread, hopefully you read it.... you said cano and cabrerara straight up would only be a marginal deal for the yankees... explain this, because everything I looked at has MIGUEL as a top 5 hitter all-time for his age...
Old 11-10-2007, 02:48 PM

Also stat nerds... who is beter defensively Jones or Rowand? There was one metric floating around that seemed a little iffy...can someone help me out here
Old 11-10-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sublime,
I'm just gonna put it in this thread, hopefully you read it.... you said cano and cabrerara straight up would only be a marginal deal for the yankees... explain this, because everything I looked at has MIGUEL as a top 5 hitter all-time for his age...

[/ QUOTE ]

OBG, do you know what baseball-reference.com is? If not, check it out. I guarantee you will find it really cool. Let me try to answer part of the question. Cano has averaged a 123 OPS+ the last two years. The typical second baseman is probably a 90 OPS+. Making that trade gives you a 150 OPS+ DH. Not only does this hurt team flexibility (where do you play posada in a couple years?) but finding at least a 120 OPS+ DH should be fairly easy without giving up your 43 extra points at 2B, that leaves you 13 pts ahead of the trade scenario. Add in the fact that Cano is under your control for longer and is much cheaper.

Now I don't know how good Cano is defensively, if he's a butcher its a different story, but if he's good the he's probably as valuable as Miggy because Miggy has no defensive value.

Next year the Yanks get way more offense keeping Cano and signing Bonds to DH, or getting Tejada to play third. If they could sign Jones or Hunter for CF, trading Melky to get Tejada would make sense.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:58 PM

Dc,
You make some good points, but for some reason i'm the one that likes rowand... but whatever

and yes I know what baseball-refrence.com is, infact i recall reading an article a while ago saying that they should trade cano and melky + other stuff i don't remember for MIG

also this isn't fantasy baseball...Theres a better chance AROD comes back as opposed to them signing bonds

lasty MIGGY would play 3b/1B As well as some DH
Old 11-10-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sublime,

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at Cano. He is a likely HOFer at 2nd base. Well in the sense that if he doesn't fall off the cliff or get injured. MCab is a 1st baseman. And a good one, but his numbers aren't the same at 1B.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sublime,

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at Cano. He is a likely HOFer at 2nd base. Well in the sense that if he doesn't fall off the cliff or get injured. MCab is a 1st baseman. And a good one, but his numbers aren't the same at 1B.

[/ QUOTE ]

your starting a team from scratch...you really think cano is that comparable to miguel?

... not to mention the yankees replacement level players are higher than average due to their blessed financial situation.. they can always sign an above average guy... so premier players are more valuable to them
Old 11-10-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dc,
You make some good points, but for some reason i'm the one that likes rowand... but whatever

and yes I know what baseball-refrence.com is, infact i recall reading an article a while ago saying that they should trade cano and melky + other stuff i don't remember for MIG

also this isn't fantasy baseball...Theres a better chance AROD comes back as opposed to them signing bonds

lasty MIGGY would play 3b...not DH

[/ QUOTE ]

Defensive metrics are fuzzy, but Andrew Jones has often been rated among the all time greats, Rowand hasnt and Jones is the better hitter. Of course Jones may have eaten himself out of his talent. You'll find out what Cashman thinks when you find out who he targets, he's got at least three FA options to upgrade at CF, if he keeps Melky it will say something.

And BRef doesnt have articles, its a repository of detailed stats, I think you are confusing it with primer or another site.

Not sure why you think Bonds is unsignable, he's a natural fit and is likely to be signable on a short term deal. Either way my point is that there are many options to get good offense out of the DH spot, its even possible Giambi could rebound and hit close to Miggys level.

The problem is for all of his hitting prowess and the runs he creates with his bat, Miggy is going to give a alot of them back with his iron glove. If Cano is a plus defender at a prime position like 2b the difference in defensive value can overcome their difference in hitting. Tejada is a plus defender, playing him at SS would be worth way more than Miggy. Miggy would have to DH and you'd be stuck with no hit 3b and 2b, so how does that improve the team?