Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 08:17 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?
Default Books I\'m reading etc.

Books I recently read

Fantasyland
This book by Sam Walker is about his joining one of the toughest fantasy baseball leagues with no prior experience. Obviously it appeals to fans of nerd baseball (in other words, me) and for me the book was interesting from beginning to end. I ended up carrying it around with me reading it at every opportunity. My only real issue was a difficulty keeping track of the different owners names, but that's always an issue with me.

Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser
After years of hearing about it from my mother I'm finally read this books. I'm glad I did but it wasn't perfect. The second half about the common practices of meat produces both in and out of the slaughterhouses was good and something everyone should read. The first half however I had a hard time getting through. I didn't find the part on the beginning/growth interesting, nor did I enjoy the discussion of the sociological and economic effects of the fast food industry. He just spend way too long whining about how big companies are killing off the "American farmer" relying almost entirely on the 'this is how it used to be so it's best' argument. The book breaks down into two parts; skip the first half but the second is a must read for everyone.

Night by Elie Wiesel.
I started reading this book one evening and didn't stop until I was finished. For me there can be no higher praise. Night is a well written (and depressing) pictures of the author's life as a Jew in WWII Germany. The books starts before his internment, ends with his liberation, and paints a vivid and horrifying picture of everything in between. I was so intensely frustrated reading about how the Jews refused to believe bad things were happening through the patches the ghetto's even right up until they were being marched into gas chambers single file. Whenever I watch/read something about the holocaust the most amazing thing for me is how so many people just marched trustingly along right to their deaths.

The Cheater's Guide to Baseball by Derek Zumsteg
Not a lot to say about this one. I read it very quickly and enjoyed it and if you like baseball you will too. The author posts on www.ussmariner.com, one of the best baseball blogs you'll find.

Books I'm currently reading

Evil: An Investigation by Lance Morrow
I pushed myself about halfway through this book but my progress has since ground to a halt. The subject material is interesting but the book is generally not. The outline is very scattered and jumps around a lot. The writing is just clumsy. I doubt I'll get this one finished.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
I rented the movie a while ago and found it completely unwatchable. I was very disappointed by this because from what I heard it seemed like a movie I'd really like. I got the book as a gift and I'm glad to say my experience with the book has been much much better. I think the movie format must have a hard time expressing the thoughts crossing their drug-addled brains. The book is fun and funny and highly recommended.

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson
I've read a lot of Bill Bryson's writing and I'd highly recommend most of it, specifically 'In a sunburned country' and 'A walk in the woods.' His writing is always laugh out loud funny. In some of his books he reminisces too much about the good ol' days and laments how things have changed, assuming that the reader will of course agree with him. In Thunderbolt Kid he goes on such tangents periodically. They're annoying but infrequent and pushing through them is worth your time.

Books next in the Queue

More Sex Is Safer Sex by Steven Landsburg
I picked this up on sale when I was recently in Portland (Go Powells!). My friend at school happened to also be reading it and saying he disagreed with a lot of the author's conclusions so I moved it to the top of the queue. Personally I'm hoping I'll agree with a bunch of them and we can argue about it.

The Assault On Reason by Al Gore

Ball Four by Jim Bouton

Mind Wide Open: Your Brain and the Neuroscience of Everyday Life by Steven Johnson
Old 06-22-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Books I\'m reading etc.

All,
Previous book discussion thread

Will add reviews of my recent reads soon.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Books I\'m reading etc. *DELETED*

Post deleted by El Diablo
Old 06-23-2007, 12:40 AM

"Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas" is terrific and a must-read for everyone IMO. If you really get into it check out "The Rum Diary" by HS Thompson. It's a different feel but also an excellent read.

Edit: I should add that "Fear & Loathing" probably sucks a lot more if you haven't had a period of complete drug-addict degeneracy in your life (or at least rampant, irresponsible drug use for several months/years), "The Rum Diary" is much more accessible although not as good IMO as F&LiLV.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas" is terrific and a must-read for everyone IMO. If you really get into it check out "The Rum Diary" by HS Thompson. It's a different feel but also an excellent read.

Edit: I should add that "Fear & Loathing" probably sucks a lot more if you haven't had a period of complete drug-addict degeneracy in your life (or at least rampant, irresponsible drug use for several months/years), "The Rum Diary" is much more accessible although not as good IMO as F&LiLV.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably have to have some experience with drugs or have a Samoan attorney to really get F&LILV. But if you do, it is a very funny book.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:16 AM

what did you think of Night?
Also read Catch-22 if you havent yet.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:21 AM

Currently re-reading "Religion and Nothingness" - Keiji Nishitani.

In my opinion, the deepest philosophical, existential exploration of Buddhistic thought from the inside of Buddhism itself. And the contrast of this thinking compared to Chrsitian thought which he believes is basically, when taken to its ultimate conclusion(think Nietzsche, Sartre), heading toward a severe relative nihilism.

A great book if interested in Buddhism from a more philosophical, vs. Religious, point of origin.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:05 AM

"Warren Buffet: Lessons for Corporate America" has made me become a better man, for I feel ashamed very time my shady instinct wants to take over and take shortcuts.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Books I\'m reading etc. *DELETED*

Post deleted by El Diablo
Old 06-23-2007, 03:07 AM

I am currently reading "No Country for Old Men". I am enjoying it, but to be honest, I don't see what all the hype is about. It's good, but kinda forgettable.