Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 09:04 AM

Default Re: A suggestion...

[ QUOTE ]
why sell calls that offset gains from your underlying position as the price of that security increases??

[/ QUOTE ]

Well? They don't neccessarily offset your gains. Say I own a stock at $100 a share. Lets also say I'd like to sell it at 105. Lets also say the 5 weeks to expiration 105 calls are trading at 2. If the stock trades above 105 at expiration I not only get to sell my stock at 105 I get to keep the $2 from selling the option meaning I really sold it at 107. There are lots of variations on this but the general gist is you are adding value. The best situation is when you want to stay long the stock and it keeps going up and you keep selling calls each month that never quite get reached. Of course the downside is if you really wanted to stay long and got called away missing a significant portion of a rally.

[ QUOTE ]
why does selling calls reduce time premium?

[/ QUOTE ]

What selling does is push down implied volatilities. It's supply and demand. If all the orders are coming in to sell the market makers will continuously lower their bids. This pushes implied volatility down and subsequently the option will have less time premium. The opposite is also true buyer push the prices up increasing implieds.

[ QUOTE ]
further, that is only 1 side, what happens to the price of puts as the price of the underlying increases and thus implied volatility related to puts?

[/ QUOTE ]

As stocks are rallying implied generally drop across both the put and call spectrum. There is no fear and there is no panic so nobody is rushing to buy which increases implieds. Plus the synthetic market keeps these in line. If I buy a put and sell a call at the same strike I am synthetically short the stock. If I can do this at a discount to the price of the stock I can just buy the stock and lock up certain profit. There are interest and dividend implications to this however all of the market makers use delta sheets with which they can calculate all of this in a glance.

[ QUOTE ]
why would you expect calls to go down right away as prices fell given the above discussion (of covering)?...i thought just above you noted that as prices fall drastically, people tend to cover their short positions in calls and thus push up the price so i'd think call prices would increase as price falls like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point I was trying to make that in a pure panic situation you can throw deltas out the window. I was trading TBond options during the 87 crash. TBonds went limit up 3 days straight which is enormous (10 full points) and 25 handle out of the money puts were going up in price.

[ QUOTE ]
in a rising market, the desire to sell calls increase? why?? if i'm long something and the price increases

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay this is what I answered first. Buying out of the money calls is pretty much a sucker play. Unless you might know something about Hilton [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If you think a stock will just keep grinding on up the most profitable way to paly it is with covered calls. Until of course implieds get so low you aren't properly compensated for the risk of getting called away. I have a couple of stocks in my personal portfolio I constantly sell calls against. If you get lucky sometimes you end up with free stock [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2007, 11:50 AM

well that clears all that up.

great responses & thanks for that. there's no better way to learn than to be wrong.

do you know what the mathematics of this says (i.e. off hand do you happen to know what the ...?

oh, LOL, i completely forgot about that, the B-S model takes volatility as a constant. so you can't take the first, or any, derivative of a constant. there are now ways to do that so when i get back to them i'll come back to this post and see what i think then (just in terms of the math behind how the volatility, when treated like a function, relates to price moves)

thanks again baseball,
Barron
Old 07-09-2007, 02:06 PM

DcifrThs in this thread you really displayed an impressive ability to talk fancy, say a lot of things, and be dead wrong. You are like the Joe Morgan of options trading.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DcifrThs in this thread you really displayed an impressive ability to talk fancy, say a lot of things, and be dead wrong. You are like the Joe Morgan of options trading.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm learning. don't really care what you think since i never claimed to be an expert. i just took what i knew and when through it out loud step by step. mrbaseball really helped me out here so i'm very thankful for that.

thanks though.

Barron
Old 07-10-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm learning. don't really care what you think since i never claimed to be an expert. i just took what i knew and when through it out loud step by step. mrbaseball really helped me out here so i'm very thankful for that.

thanks though.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah. Don't take it so personally man I just wanted to make a Joe Morgan joke.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks though.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah. Don't take it so personally man I just wanted to make a Joe Morgan joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

word. i guess i woulda caught that if i knew who joe morgan is [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Barron
Old 07-24-2007, 02:50 PM

Update:

Disappointment

People were actually buying 200 Dec calls on this stuff, unreal.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Apple puts July 21

If anyone cares I dumped my Pepsi spreads today at 1.30, the market is a little to hot to try and milk any more out of it. I got the move I was hoping for but a lot more volatally than I was expecting or wanting. 78 to 130 = a nice little 66% winner in 4 weeks. I'm glad to be out. Much better performance than anything else I had today!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:50 PM

CONGRATS!!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If anyone cares I dumped my Pepsi spreads today at 1.30, the market is a little to hot to try and milk any more out of it. I got the move I was hoping for but a lot more volatally than I was expecting or wanting. 78 to 130 = a nice little 66% winner in 4 weeks. I'm glad to be out. Much better performance than anything else I had today!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mind if I ask why you prefer calendar spreads versus trading optipns at different prices in the same month?