Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Re: New York City: Your favorite things to do or places to go

[ QUOTE ]
Heidleberg (bet 85th and 86th and 2nd): The place has good German food, from what I remember. It is a very classic German restauarant, leiderhosen and all. However, the reason I go is for Das Boot, the glass boot of beer.

[/ QUOTE ]Oh yeah, that reminds me: Zum Schneider on 7th and Ave C has great German bar food and beer.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yuka (bet 80th and 81st and 2nd): I actually thought a while before talking about this place. 18 dollar all you can eat sushi and it's very good quality. 10 years ago when I first when to this place, it was 18 dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan claims to have eaten nearly 50 pieces of sushi there.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you count one piece of a roll as equivalent to a piece of nigiri, this is definitely true.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF. No way a roll counts. He claimed this feat as a response to this.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:28 PM

Didn't see if all these have been mentioned already: These were around last I checked.

Sandobe- Not very fashionable for some reason, but I think it's good Sushi, not expensive and different from your average Sushi place On the LES.

Veniero's- Old style Italian dessert place- good stuff, lots of choice, normally crowded. For some reason I got into heated flavored milk to go along with my desserts here.

Korova (??) Milk Bar- I think it's just in Alphabet City, but might still be on the LES, it's modeled after the bar in A Clockwork Orange. Lots of milk and alcohol drinks- be very careful for GI disaster.

Doc Holiday's- Trashy bikerish bar across from Thompson Square Park in LES- has PBR in cans and waitressed who dance on the bar to Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire.

2nd Ave Deli- Was my favorite deli by far. Heard it closed a while ago, RIP.

Typhoon Lounge- Good Japanese place, nice space,e not expnsive around St. Marks, which is near....

The Japanese place with soft core Japanese nudes on the wall, really cheap beer, and kinda strange/authentic Japanese food. It's on St. Mark's as well- anyone know the name?

Since I'm on a St. Mark's kick- the St. Mark's Bookstore is a fantastic place for browsing great, diverse new books- which leads me to:

The Strand- near 13th and Broadway(?) near Union Square. More used books than you possibly know what to do with. It's fun just browsing here, and if you like bookstores at all, you could probably spend days in here..

B&H Photo/Video- the place to go fo consumer and pro cameras/video/audio. If you're thinking about buying something, you can try it out here. Huge, huge mail order place, you can avoid the high NY sales tax by mail ordering.

International Center of Photography- Normally have excellent photo exhibits.

Leica Gallery- Specializes in artists who use Leicas, normally reportage, photojournalism. I would stop in all the time when I was in the neighborhood, near NYU undergrad

Man... maybe I should move back..
Old 03-26-2007, 10:56 PM

SOB's has great international live music. If you get a chance to see one of their bloco afro bands, it's a must-see.

I'll also put in another vote for the Village Vanguard for great jazz, and a vote against the Iridium or the Blue Note.

And though you'll contend with lots of loud bridge & tunnelers (although this can be part of the entertainment), Macdougal street is unparalleled in its cheap, greasy late-night food selections. PressToast and Kati Roll, among many many others.

Riding the SI ferry can be a ton of fun.

As a playwriting student, i also have to suggest bypassing Broadway and seeing something original at an off-Broadway theater. There is theater beyond Disney.

As others have said, the most fun thing in New York is not knowing what you're going to do, anyway. As long as you avoid the black hole of Times Square, you'll find something fun in a few minutes of aimless walking.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:15 PM

The Big Apple BBQ is going on this weekend at Washington Square Park. Big Apple BBQ

If you like BBQ, its a must, basically all these great BBQ joints through the country send people up with their smokers and cook a TON of different BBQ. If you go, make sure to buy Bubba's Fast Pass.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:27 PM

Virgil's

Great BBQ!!!

Right off Times Square
Old 06-05-2007, 02:25 PM

note for all gelato lab fans: the whole foods on houston has a gelato bar with all gelato lab gelato by the cup (same sizes as the original store). I think they even had a few more flavors than the original store does.

this is great because whole foods is open much later than gelato lab, might even be 24 hours.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:55 PM

http://www.pinkberry.com
Old 06-09-2007, 08:40 AM

I can think of two places to go for gustatorial delight:

1. Poke - sushi restaurant near 1st avenue on E 85th street. Better than anything I've had in NY, and I've had a lot of sushi. It's also not really close either.

2. Minca - Japanese ramen bar on 5th Street between Ave. A and Ave B. I used to go here like 2x a week, I was so entranced by their ramen dishes. This stuff is apparently on par with the ramen available in Japan. You will not leave this place without a full belly. Make sure to try to Torinaku (sp) bowl.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.pinkberry.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap when did we get this in NYC?