Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 12:40 PM

Default 60- hand against bbjohn

sorry playing so dont have time to convert

PokerStars Game #13113935864: Tournament #66549153, $55+$5 Hold'em No Limit - Level V (75/150) - 2007/11/08 - 11:33:54 (ET)
Table '66549153 1' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 2: spacegravy (1455 in chips)
Seat 4: Dolcesaint (515 in chips)
Seat 6: Minus790 (3775 in chips)
Seat 7: Newqbrown (2520 in chips)
Seat 9: BB John (5235 in chips)
BB John: posts small blind 75
spacegravy: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to spacegravy [8s Ac]
Dolcesaint: folds
Minus790: folds
Newqbrown: folds
BB John: calls 75
spacegravy:

I think he's tryin to make it look like a trap. If he has a big hand against me wouldnt there be more value in just shoving?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Re: 60- hand against bbjohn

You're an aggressive player playing lots of tables so I doubt he is trying to level you by limping in with a weak hand so you can interpret it as a trap. He is shoving most decent hands that you normally complete in to the BB with with deeper stacks. I think it's almost always a trap.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're an aggressive player playing lots of tables so I doubt he is trying to level you by limping in with a weak hand so you can interpret it as a trap. He is shoving most decent hands that you normally complete in to the BB with with deeper stacks. I think it's almost always a trap.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-08-2007, 01:54 PM

I always laugh when regs do this with big hands since I'd obviously insta call if they would've just shoved. I usually default not to shove the first time they do it since it's AA like 80% of the time. If he wants to somehow sneak in with a crap hand once than I usually let them since if they make it a habit it'll be very easy to spot.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:13 PM

BBjohn is pretty observant, so I would say if he's recently seen you shoving alot over completions he is more likely to be trapping, and if he's seen you check alot from BB and play passively postflop he's more likely to have trash. I would imagine though that he is good enough to not do something as exploitable as only limping a monster or only limping trash here, and he is probably pushing most mediocre hands. Just by pot odds, if you think his prob. of trapping with a monster is < 1/5, you should shove. Since you're usually very aggressive in these situations, he is probably trapping with prob > 1/5, so I'd probably check preflop and be pretty passive postflop here.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:43 PM

I shove cause you have 10bbs and John doesn't need a big hand to complete from what Ive seen and your shoving range is not THAT different from your calling range here. I think the limp trap is a bad play when 2 thinking opponents are bvb, cause esp with these stacks he's got to know you are calling shoves somewhat light so limping makes the calling hands shove and the weaker hands have a free shot. I would think its more likely a meta type move than a trap, it lets you know he's not shoving 100% and stack sizes force you to be a little conservative.

Those are sort of random thoughts, in the end I think traps probably are a small part of his range but he has other hands in there as well, so that you should prob shove.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:50 PM

shove. just treat it as a push and play accordingly until you have a read vs him. if he has trash you make 75 more chips. he he has AA you lose the same. so you win here in the long run and are happy he is making a dumb play. a better play by him would be to start minraising AA and 52o. then you really have to think. but this could be all way off because im really high right now and tired.