Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Strategy for Freeroll\'s ?

Hello 2+2,i'm a new member (an non-us,so excuse my writing) .

I'm starting poker online,and i don't want to risk my own money just yet.So i figher it out that the best way to raise a BR is playing freerolls.But what strategy to aply ? Everybody plays so loose,any two cards, etc.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Strategy for Freeroll\'s ?

wait for the big hands early then push

youll almost always get two callers
Old 10-12-2007, 01:42 PM

There are 2 possible strategies: You either play rock tight and wait until all the all-in maniacs are gone. The disadvantage is that you might have problems later when everybody has like 10 times more chips than you. Or you join the ride and go all-in with every halfway decent hand. With the former strategy you will have to play less freerolls and can train your patience (oh boy!), the latter strategy only makes sense if you are registered with a lot of poker rooms since you will need several tries before you actually have the big stack you need to go deeper into the tournament.

A final note: I would rather deposit $50 or so before "wasting" your time playing freerolls. They teach you a lot of bad habits that sometimes need ages to get rid of!
Old 10-12-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A final note: I would rather deposit $50 or so before "wasting" your time playing freerolls. They teach you a lot of bad habits that sometimes need ages to get rid of!

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree

even if you do get money in the freeroll your gonna have a tough time profiting for a while (probably your whole br) before you get in the swing of real play
Old 10-12-2007, 01:52 PM

I wasted 6 months by not depositing and messing around on freerolls. If your a decent player and study the game through reading books and these forums then you can crush the micro limits starting with a small bankroll and working your way up. Freerolls are full of schoolkids and people who dont care you learn absolutely nothing from them except the rules of the game. Good luck whichever path you take.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:57 PM

Don't bother with freerolls imo, complete waste of time and you learn next to nothing from them.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:06 PM

And you spend three hours in a tournament for a whopping 17 cents.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:11 PM

I agree with these dudes. Freerolls are a step above play money, but carry the same mentality the first few rounds. The play tightens up a little after a few rounds, but as everyone said, it does develop some bad habits. People do not play free rolls the way they do for their own money. If you are gonna play the freerolls, play the ones that are for cash. Fulltilt has a $100 freeroll about once every hour, but you have to place in the top 30 of 2700 people. Of course 500 of them go out on the first hand. Absolute Poker has a freeroll with rebuys. Party Poker offers hardly any freerolls. I haven't seen too much of what Poker Stars offers. Bodog's are pretty lame as well. You should just nut up and put $10 on Poker Stars. You should be able to afford that. They have $1.20 tournaments, and .02/.04 cash games.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:21 PM

Poker Stars even has .01/.02 cash games, Titan Poker offers STT with buy-ins from .12 and cash games starting from .01/.02. as well.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:24 PM

you will pick up some bad habits in free rolls that will take for ever to shake. You will be better off here working on your game untill you can put a bank roll together.