Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Thinking of taking a different nuts line

Villain is a loose-passive type, running something like 54/9

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($6.70)
Button ($6.35)
SB :#A500AF(Villain)/ ($7.70)
Hero ($10.20)
UTG ($7.90)
MP ($20.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB :#A500AF(Villain)/ completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.4</font>, SB :#A500AF(Villain)/ calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.80) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.6</font>, Villain calls $0.60.

Turn: ($2) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.6</font>,

So when I hit a hand like this, I've been thinking of taking a new line of checking behind on the turn. I know this gives out a free draw, but I think it comes across as very weak to c-bet the flop and then check the turn. I think it can definitely induce bluffs, and might even be +EV in many cases, especially after the table sees you c-bet and then give up a few times.

Thoughts? Critiques on how I played vs. how I'm thinking about playing?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Thinking of taking a different nuts line

You're thinking too much. Checking is bad, not because of the free card, but because you lose the change to get more money in the pot. Chances are good he's not folding anything on the turn he called the flop with. Just bet 2/3 pot or what ever.

No real need for fancy advanced plays at this level, and least not in position with the nuts.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:58 AM

Even if I think that a lot of players are calling the c-bet just to see if I bet again?

Maybe I'm imagining that read because I get mad when my c-bet fails, but I think a lot of flop calls are just to see what I do on the turn, and then fold to strength and shoot at weakness.

You're probably right, nonetheless, I just can't shake the feeling that he would have fired at me if I'd shown weakness.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:17 AM

at these low levels advanced plays aren't the best. You should be strictly betting for value every street.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:54 PM

He's going to call the turn with all his draws, all Ks, probably Qs, etc. If he called your flop bet with 88, do you really think he's going to call a river bet with it just because you checked the turn?

Only reason to check the turn is if the player is likely to fold the turn, but fire at the river if you check the turn. IMO at NL 10, this just isn't happening very often. Most people at this level call way too much, and rarely make tricky plays for the right reasons.

Just bet the turn. You'll lose a lot of value if you're trying to apply concepts that are too advanced for the limits you're playing. Barring very good reads, pretty straight forward play is going to make you the most money for quite a few more limits.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:00 PM

slowplay is the standard donk line at 10NL, don't be a donk