Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Aces, 10/20 Stud 8

Any read on what you think seat 3 had that they could call a complete bet on 3rd with a nine in the door OOP and fold on 4th? Lots of dead clubs. I suppose JJ or TT with a club might be in the range for some folks but would they then fold after hitting an offsuit king for a single small bet. 9A or somesuch hand including the 9d is a consideration here.

Patty
Old 07-31-2007, 04:37 PM

I'm with others in not being able to figure out how seat 1 can call 3 cold with an apparent mostly dead two pair though. Regardless of his hole cards you've got a big live one. Even most of the guys at lower limits aren't that bad (with two pair). Then again I have a leak in overrating my opponents abilities at times.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm with others in not being able to figure out how seat 1 can call 3 cold with an apparent mostly dead two pair though. Regardless of his hole cards you've got a big live one. Even most of the guys at lower limits aren't that bad (with two pair). Then again I have a leak in overrating my opponents abilities at times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the other upcards. He's obviously a fish, but he also thinks everyone's going low.

edit: btw, not that I wouldn't fold fifth, but I think pumping this on sixth is surprisingly decent
Old 07-31-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Look at the other upcards. He's obviously a fish, but he also thinks everyone's going low.

[/ QUOTE ]

when a guy catches a hideous Q on that board and goes nutso on sixth there's about a zero percent chance he's got a low. Seriously he's showing A84Q rainbow into a bunch of people. I mean even non expert hand readers can figure this one out.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

when a guy catches a Q on that board and goes nutso on sixth there's about a zero percent chance he's got a low.

[/ QUOTE ]

he called 3 cold on fifth, not sixth. on fifth, looking back, it sure looks like he has 2 pair. on sixth, he's probably calling because the pot is big and maybe he's good etc etc who really cares I am 80% sure you have the best high hand right now because clearly he's being more aggro with trips plus *somewhere*.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

when a guy catches a Q on that board and goes nutso on sixth there's about a zero percent chance he's got a low.

[/ QUOTE ]

he called 3 cold on fifth, not sixth. on fifth, looking back, it sure looks like he has 2 pair. on sixth, he's probably calling because the pot is big and maybe he's good etc etc who really cares I am 80% sure you have the best high hand right now because clearly he's being more aggro with trips plus *somewhere*.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this guy really is a fish, isn't it possible that he's employing a fishy slowplay here with a boat, or even just trips. I mean, we don't get to see the river action - that could be the *somewhere*, in theory, right?

If we're going to use the "he's a fish, he thinks they are all going low" evidence, doesn't that point toward the line of reasoning that says, "wow, i just hit trips, i've got the high nuts locked, i'll milk all these idiots raising with lows."
Old 07-31-2007, 05:17 PM

it certainly points to that line, but that line is "I have a high hand, they all have low hands, I think I'm good", not specifically "I have trips".

It's nearly impossible for him to have 95 in the hole - aside from it being one combo, even superfish are gonna cap fifth there because 'you all have lows'. So he'd have to either have 9d x 5c on third (wow), or peel fourth with (concealed pair) 59 closing the action. I think the latter is more likely.

BTW, the speed at which he calls fifth probably tells us a lot.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it certainly points to that line, but that line is "I have a high hand, they all have low hands, I think I'm good", not specifically "I have trips".

It's nearly impossible for him to have 95 in the hole - aside from it being one combo, even superfish are gonna cap fifth there because 'you all have lows'. So he'd have to either have 9d x 5c on third (wow), or peel fourth with (concealed pair) 59 closing the action. I think the latter is more likely.

BTW, the speed at which he calls fifth probably tells us a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points. I see the pocket pair argument now, and that makes sense. I guess another possibility is A5.

But i still think he's going to show up with the case 9 here quite a bit, anyone getting dragged along with jacks up here must occasionally be playing [9 X] 5.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

he has a pair in the hole and is hoping 2 pair = good somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this is his most likely hand, and would lean toward a pair of fours. Seat six is the one I'm pretty sure has trips.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

he has a pair in the hole and is hoping 2 pair = good somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this is his most likely hand, and would lean toward a pair of fours. Seat six is the one I'm pretty sure has trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

seat 6 either has exactly trip sevens, trip twos or A3. one combo each of trips, four of A3. he'd play A3 the same everywhere as the other 752 is busy calling everything, but I think he pops trip sevens earlier, when everyone else catches well on fourth.