Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Beat: Pocket Fives Home Page Articles (poker articles in general)

As many of you know, many times a week, there are poker articles written on P5s by mostly no-names and appear on the P5 home page. Well, this latest one is no exception. I am referring to the latest article written by Fox. The article is well written and is not a bad article (I guess), however I am not into reading poker article written by unproven poker players. In Fox’s P5 profile he writes:

“I quit my job to play full time about 4 years ago, and haven't looked back. I also write a blog here on pocketfives (Fox's Blog), and I run a poker coaching web site at www.pokerfox.net. I built my bankroll bonus whoring at first, but I play high enough now that I don't use bonuses as much as I used to. I still keep up to date on them for members of my site, and can usually answer any questions you have about the little extras that are available in the world of online poker. “

Meanwhile, after doing some research I find out some info on this “coach/pro” that may prove that he has not proven himself enough to be writing articles posted on big poker sites:

FTP MTT results, http://www.officialpokerrankings.com/ful...9D5DB093E2.html, ROI –40%

Stars MTT results, http://www.officialpokerrankings.com/pok...91A4D181EB.html, ROI –67%

I could not find any other results on his based on his other names listed in his P5 profile.

On sharkscope on FTP he has -$981 profit with ROI –12%.
However, on stars he does have $1,368 profit with ROI 14%

Now, I ask how the hell can he be a “pro” (as in living off of his poker earnings, if he has any)?

Therefore, why the hell would anyone want him as a “coach”, especially for $300/day (4hrs) or $100/hr rate?

It just tilts me hard to see people getting articles published on various poker sites/magazines who might know about the game, but do not have results to support such recognition/job opportunities.

Also, in the testimonials on his site, http://pokerlessons.wordpress.com/te...m-my-students/, the one guy Toadlicker claims to:
“Fox is flat out amazing! I was a solid player before my lessons with Fox, and I was getting really good at beating the 30+3 single table tournaments, but he got my game to the next level. After three lessons I feel like a master of single table tournaments, and I’m beating the 100+9 single tables on 3 different sites with a 24% ROI. I didn’t even know what ROI was before I took lessons with Fox!”
However, this guy has no stats on sharkscope, and only has about 20 party tournys, where his ROI is –66%. Even though he obv might have different names on different sites, but you would think this would be included in testimonials to attract new customers.

Anyways, I just wanted to rip this guy or find anymore info bout him because I am curious how he makes a living from poker (as he claims) and how he even has people to coach?
Old 04-21-2007, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Beat: Pocket Fives Home Page Articles (poker articles in general)

Not sure if I got this correctly, but...

these are like 20 MTTs in total. You cant even call this a sample.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:30 PM

I am not going to argue for or against the results. Actually, I don't know the guy and have only read a couple of his articles. I feel results are not nearly as relevant as you may think.

I have been playing professionally for two years now, but I consider myself a better coach, than I do a player. I have supported myself off earnings as a player, but I think I am much more skilled at coaching. The same goes with pro sports, the best players do not make the best coaches. The best coaches are the one's who understand the game better than most and are able to get the best out of his/her players.

Likewise, the best poker players do not the best coaches. As mentioned, the best poker coaches are the ones capable of indentifying other player's weaknesses, offering solutions and capable of getting the best out of each of his/her clients.

BraveJayhawk
Old 04-21-2007, 11:32 PM

yea, my point was that he obv doesn't play often online (live i do not know about), however he is a "coach" for online poker. So how can he be a coach w/o playing often, plus how can he be a "pro" w/o playing often either, just baffling to me, but w/e i guess.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not going to argue for or against the results. Actually, I don't know the guy and have only read a couple of his articles. I feel results are not nearly as relevant as you may think.

I have been playing professionally for two years now, but I consider myself a better coach, than I do a player. I have supported myself off earnings as a player, but I think I am much more skilled at coaching. The same goes with pro sports, the best players do not make the best coaches. The best coaches are the one's who understand the game better than most and are able to get the best out of his/her players.

Likewise, the best poker players do not the best coaches. As mentioned, the best poker coaches are the ones capable of indentifying other player's weaknesses, offering solutions and capable of getting the best out of each of his/her clients.

BraveJayhawk

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I understand your argument, just personally (maybe other people agree with me but idk) I think that it will be hard to attract customers w/o having decent result. Also, he said, "I quit my job to play full time about 4 years ago, and haven't looked back." Just by the info (yes I know that there is little info) I dont't see how he accomplished this?

Anyways, I just wanted to throw this out there, was interested in what people thought about the topic.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:40 PM

I see your point.

However, here is a hypothetical.

When I was living in Kansas, I was part of a very successful group of poker players. I remember many times when one of the members would comment on an Internet player, whom was assumed to be very successful, not playing anymore.

I always offered the same answer: They may have switched sites or playing under a different alias. We were playing exclusively cash games at the time. It was never far-fetched, because I often switched sites or played under a new account with a higher rakeback offer.

Basically, it is difficult to know how one is doing, because it is very easy to slip under the radar.

As for myself, I am going back to school even though I have been quite sucessful in the past couple years. I dominated Party, but have struggled in the post-Party era. Even though I play much smaller than I used to, does not mean I am broke.

I have found it much better to keep an open mind and worry more about yourself than another player. You just don't know in the online poker world. A lot of rumors are flying around. No need to get caught up in them or be more concerned about them than yourself.

BraveJayhawk
Old 04-21-2007, 11:42 PM

"I think that it will be hard to attract customers w/o having decent result."

Usually, a poker coach will attract new customers via recommendation of a prior student.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see your point.

However, here is a hypothetical.

When I was living in Kansas, I was part of a very successful group of poker players. I remember many times when one of the members would comment on an Internet player, whom was assumed to be very successful, not playing anymore.

I always offered the same answer: They may have switched sites or playing under a different alias. We were playing exclusively cash games at the time. It was never far-fetched, because I often switched sites or played under a new account with a higher rakeback offer.

Basically, it is difficult to know how one is doing, because it is very easy to slip under the radar.

As for myself, I am going back to school even though I have been quite sucessful in the past couple years. I dominated Party, but have struggled in the post-Party era. Even though I play much smaller than I used to, does not mean I am broke.

I have found it much better to keep an open mind and worry more about yourself than another player. You just don't know in the online poker world. A lot of rumors are flying around. No need to get caught up in them or be more concerned about them than yourself.

BraveJayhawk

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point. I was just curious is all.
One last note on the subject, if he had good results he would probably want them known to help get new customers?

Thanks again for your input BraveJayhawk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if he had good results he would probably want them known to help get new customers?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but it is a difficult subject. You don't want to come across the wrong way, as it is possible actual results may be taken as pitch, rather than the truth. Personally, I share my results from time-to-time, but I always include the games in which I couldn't beat or noteworthy losing streaks I had.

It is bad business to come across as arrogant. If you are are a known accomplished player, your reputation can be a great pitch, but it is completely another to try and convince others. They may not believe you.

It's a fine line, but the best way is a recommendation from a prior student. The results they had are better proof than the amount of money earned as a player.

BraveJayhawk
Old 04-21-2007, 11:58 PM

He writes articles for Poker Pro magazine, I've read a few of them but only really remember the most recent one. It was fair, brings up some good points but I'm hoping he was joking about his looking into the soul of the opponent and through his eyes thing...

Anyways, this link was posted in HU forum for the misinformation it caused to one player, apparently one of his first articles. http://www.pocketfives.com/5C57520F-...240CB3E59.aspx