Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2006, 04:13 PM

Default PSX or N64?

From 1995-2000 if you could only own one system, your choice pretty much had to be PSX. Sure N64 had a few phenomenal games, but if you were the type of gamer who played a new game at least every month, you needed to have a PSX instead.

The question is: which one should a current "student" of videogames pick? N64 has two of the best and most historically significant games ever made - Zelda 64 and Mario 64 - but there's not all that much past that unless you're a big fan of 3D platformers (Mario and Banjo-Kazooie are the 2 best 3D platformers in existence, and no game since has come close). PSX has FF7 and Resident Evil, which, while excellent, are not on a Mario/Zelda level. But it also has a ton of other solid games that can and should still be played to this day.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:31 PM

Default Re: PSX or N64?

Goldeney was another heavyweight for the N64. I would say N64 *easily* but I'm probably biased.

Quality over quantity.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:45 PM

ummmmmmmmmmmmm i think you are forgetting about mariokart64.

seriously, n64 is so much better than playstation it shouldn't even be close.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PSX has FF7 and Resident Evil, which, while excellent, are not on a Mario/Zelda level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arguable, but I don't much care since I'd say FF3/VI, The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Super Mario World, and Super Mario Brothers 3 were superior.

The Playstation had Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogears, Silent Hill, and Valkyrie Profile, among others. It's not lacking in classics. In general younger people will probably prefer the N64 and older people will probably prefer the PSX. The good N64 games focused more on fun and simplicity, while the good PSX games focused more on depth and atmosphere.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:54 PM

while psx had great one player games (rayman, castlevania: symphony of the night)

NOTHING beats mario kart 64 and goldeneye 64 for multiplayer play...

and mario 64 and zelda OOT are no slouches for single player either [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2006, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

seriously, n64 is so much better than playstation it shouldn't even be close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been reading some stuff on console history. I was surprised by how much PlayStation outsold Nintendo 64. The PlayStation sold over 100 million units. The Nintendo 64 sold just 33 million.

By comparison, the Super Nintendo (immediate predecessor to N64) sold 50 million and the original Nintendo sold 60 million.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:51 AM

I feel the N64 was extremely underrated, and I never understood why Playstation was so much more popular. Sure it had some great games, but the load times were extremely annoying and it seemed to break down quite often. N64 OTOH had no load times, and a grip of great games...both Zeldas, Mario 64, Mario Kart, Golden Eye, Super Smash and for me personally, NBA Hangtime and Tony Hawk 2 (which i think was on both systems) are all classics. Sports games were generally somewhat better for PSX, and they had FF and MGS...but even with those things, I spent way more time playing my 64. Were there any good multiplayer games for PSX?
Old 11-12-2006, 03:51 AM

I'm with the N64 crew. But I'm probably biased cause I never owned a PSX.

N64 clearly wins by a large margin for multiplayer games. Goldeneye, Smash, and Mario Kart alone destroy anything PS had for multiplayer.

Single player is closer probably with the PS having an edge. It's not the blow out multiplayer is though. MGS, FF7, Resident Evil and Castlevania beats Mario 64 and Zelda OOT. By a slim margin though.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with an N64. If this were PS2 vs GC, the PS2 wins without a fight.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:10 AM

you are all forgetting the multiplayer in Perfect Dark. if you have played it you know what I am talking about. If you haven't played it, play it.

oh yea N64 crew for life.