Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: HU 5/10 fairly common spot from a student

I don't like the C/R, C/F in this spot.

I think you should lead out betting on the flop and turn, say 1/2 pot each time. That way, you've taken control of the betting, you are not guessing where you're at; and if you get raised, it's easy to get away from. You would also have saved yourself $90 bucks if behind.

Lead out betting $30 on the flop, and $60 on the turn, it's much cheaper than letting him make a pot size bet and C/R'ing him for 3 times his bet which you did. Now you are blowing up the pot with a very vulnerable hand.

Keep the pot small, making it easier to get away from. By not checking, you can control the bet sizing, and as I mentioned, if you get raised here, especially on the turn, you know you are behind and can get away from the hand. My $0.02 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I definitely see him having the Q in this spot based on the line you took.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:06 PM

ok, just finished reading your actual hand, nh. I still like keeping the pot small here OOP, and leading out to put him to the test as well as control pot size.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should lead out betting on the flop and turn, say 1/2 pot each time. That way, you've taken control of the betting, you are not guessing where you're at; and if you get raised, it's easy to get away from. You would also have saved yourself $90 bucks if behind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless leading into him is an established part of your game, you get blown off the best hand a TON of the time, with this line.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless leading into him is an established part of your game, you get blown off the best hand a TON of the time, with this line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Very good point. And if we c/c the flop and then donk the turn, I think Villain puts us on exactly the type of hand we have (maybe he puts on slightly less, since no rr pf), and plays "perfectly," never missing value when he's ahead, and raising us with draws, knowing that he probably has overcards as well, and another street to fire on. So unless we're trying to induce a big play, which I think we already agreed is not optimal for someone with Hero's image in this spot, I don't like a c/c flop, lead turn line at all.

Couple more things:
1)I never said Hero is nitty, or weak-tight. I said he's probably viewed by his opponent as somewhat weak-tight. Villain definitely wasn't running over Hero in this match; he was playing a little more aggressive than him. As such, I don't think that Hero c/r'ing the flop and betting the turn represents a Q or better only.

2)Someone mentioned based on stack sizes that Hero should get up, since he's probably getting killed. This was not the case. He was faring decently, given a major dearth of strong hands, and I think he lost 2 buy-ins total.

Anyway, I think this thread contains some pretty interesting thoughts from a lot of smart players. Thanks for that.