Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 05:58 PM

Default NL10, set oop, villain plays good, drawlike board

Ok... here is a hand that I really spoiled.
Frankly, I am not going to defend my final call very much.
Apart from that I feel like I need help on every street.
I am especially worried about bet sizes.
I give you the ideas I had while playing as the hand developes. I ask for advice on my reasoning as well.
Thanks in advance.

<u>Reads:</u>
Big Blind is almost unknown. First impression says he is not better than typical NL10 opponent. Especially, that means I am very often not going to fold a set to him should the flush card come.
Button is a tight multi-tabling regular. I have seen him very often, yet I have only one note on him: "Does NOT slowplay flopped nuts". Apart from that he has done nothing out of the ordinary. I assume he is rather catious (as opposed to a strong postflop pot-byer). For the time beeing, I treat him as someone who plays pretty straightforward. It is safe to assume that he has reasons for doing whatever he does. So, second level thinking makes sense.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Hero (SB): $9.90
BB: $9.90
UTG: $5.10
UTG+1: $19.05
MP1: $10.15
MP2: $5.40
MP3: $2.65
CO: $10.05
BTN: $20.45

Preflop: Hero is dealt 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (9 Players)
6 folds, BTN calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.05, BB checks

Flop: ($0.30) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.20</font>, BB folds, BTN calls $0.20

<font color="blue"> Now betting 0.2 might seem a bit small as opposed to 0.3, but what I really ask myself now: Should I overbet the flop? Flush draws will call more hoping for implied odds. Any non-draw hand that wants to play will call more. What about 0.5 or so? </font>

Turn: ($0.70) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.80</font>, BTN calls $0.80

<font color="blue"> Now itīs heads up with the good player. I want the draws out. I donīt think he would open-limp 65s. I guess that this guy has an idea of how I play, be it observing or PT data. He sees my turn bet. He might now put me on anything from a mere draw up to the very nuts. I still havenīt given away the strength of my hand. I expect him to fold or to raise to challenge me. Both is welcome.

But now he just calls. I instantly believe the flush draws wouldnīt have called. (Looking back now I see he doesnīt have to win so much on the river to call without having immediate odds, so he can probably call on implied odds. Sad enough, but thatīs my level of skill in the heat of the battle. Iīm working on it.) </font>

River: ($2.30) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $1.70</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $19.00</font>, Hero calls all-in for $7.10
Uncalled bet of $10.20 returned to BTN

<font color="blue"> I donīt think he has a flush when I open. I am betting for value. I have nothing to say to justify the final call. </font>

Any comments welcome.

Pot Size: $19.90 ($0.95 Rake)
Old 08-28-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: NL10, set oop, villain plays good, drawlike board

"But now he just calls. I instantly believe the flush draws wouldnīt have called. (Looking back now I see he doesnīt have to win so much on the river to call without having immediate odds, so he can probably call on implied odds. Sad enough, but thatīs my level of skill in the heat of the battle. Iīm working on it.)"
This is exactly why he has a flush here. You have defined your hand to set/56 and he will make more money on the river.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:42 PM

I'd raise this pre-flop since there is just one limper, everything is fine until the river.

I'd probaly c/c the river, but i dont really mind betting it. But calling his all-in raise is rally bad. What excactly did you put him on? 2 pair?
Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But calling his all-in raise is rally bad. What excactly did you put him on? 2 pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

I put him on a flush (as "most likely") but didnīt have the disciplin to lay down the set. Quite embarassing, but thatīs what it was like.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I put him on a flush (as "most likely") but didnīt have the disciplin to lay down the set. Quite embarassing, but thatīs what it was like.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess its fine as long as you learn from your mistakes. I for one know that I learn a lot better when it hurts [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Also make a note on how he maximized the value on the river. He thought you had a good hand and didn't just bet small like most people do. This is very powerful in NL5 (which I play) since so many people can't lay down the second best hand. If you think that your opponent will call at least 30% of the time you get a lot more value this way. Sine he has very little folding equity (people call with a lot) this is rarely a bluff since you showed strength in every street - which means you don't want to fold.

Also think positive, its very cheap to learn in these low limits. And rarely does anyone exploit our weaknesses as well as villain did in this hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd also like to say that I like your reads, reading this forum it seems like many people play like zombies only stating PT records and so few actually take the time to study their opponents. Knowing how they play when they are weak makes a large difference IMO.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:56 AM

Forgot to say about your betting. On flop I'd probably bet about .50 i.e. over bet the flop - if they both have a draw and call they will still get too cheap odds. And frankly I don't mind taking the pot down plus I get more money in the pot if I get called.

The river bet is a bit weak compared to your turn over bet. I think it does show some weakness and I wouldn't be too surprised if a villain would bluff. But its a an awful card and frankly I'm not sure what the best line is.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:12 AM

When completing the SB, I would have bet 0.30/0.40 after flop. Turn was ok, but I would have c/f the river.

I think at NL10, unless you really, really have good reads on villain big raises or allins from normal/big stacks almost always mean nuts or near nuts. It's a shame when you grinded your way to some nice winnings and throw it all away by calling a huge overbet/allin. You know you are a winning player when grinding it away, so why take this huge risk?

My question to others is, would a shove on the turn be a good play? Villain is more likely on a draw, make him pay!
Old 08-29-2007, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess its fine as long as you learn from your mistakes. I for one know that I learn a lot better when it hurts [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
The river bet is a bit weak compared to your turn over bet. I think it does show some weakness and I wouldn't be too surprised if a villain would bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither would I. But specifically this one does not have a record of running big bluffs. Which makes my call even worse.

I made that bet because I thought he didnīt make the flush. I wanted him to call with mediocre hands. I was also expecting min-raise should he have a strong hand.

I was aware that one might understand my bet as a weak (I donīt think they should, but lots of players will). I would call an all-in by a typical NL10 player who is not a multitabling regular and then sometimes reload.
But I had to fold against this one.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think at NL10, unless you really, really have good reads on villain big raises or allins from normal/big stacks almost always mean nuts or near nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends. There a quite a lot of people who like to bluff at any sight of supposed weakness.

And then thereīs also people who play like you say, only they think that two-pair is the stone cold nuts when there is only 4 parts of a straight on board! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2007, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise this pre-flop since there is just one limper, everything is fine until the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very important advise IMO. We have a tight guy who limps and we have a nice pocketpair so raise it up, and bet 99% of the flops. That would also takes his implied odds down on flop and turn. By the way I guess the guy had some kind of gutshot straight to along with his flushdraw otherwise, the turncall would be very optimistic (unless he knew you would def. pay off, but he couldn't know that I guess).