Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Are microstakes beatable?

I consider myself a decent player at NLHE, I usually win at my home games that I play but when I play online at .05/.1 I feel like the beginner players act so irrationally that I find it very difficult to beat them. They chase everything and always seem to hit.

Should I consider moving up a step in the limits or will it not matter at microstakes?

Am I not as good as I think I am (very possible) or are these games just very difficult to beat?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-09-2007, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Are microstakes beatable?

.01 .02 cent games at UB is beatable thats's about as small as you can go
Old 08-09-2007, 01:53 AM

Ah the old "Move where they respect my raises" chestnut. If your cant beat NL 10, chances are you will get crush at high levels.

Your either not as good as you think or your just going through a bad patch. Microstakes are very beatable.

Do you play Full ring or 6-max? If you have pokertacker what are your stats? If your having problems you should post hands in the micro stakes forum.

Also, buy some books. Know what hands to play in micro stakes is the most important factor i think. Too many players play poor hands and are happy to stack off with them.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:55 AM

The mircos are vary beatable, you just need to be tight wait for good hands then value bet.Dont try to bluff much without a vary vary good read a basic ABC game works well.

Also you should probably not move up until you can beat the micros.Try reading all the mirco stakes strats that you can they will help a lot.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:56 AM

I personally think that NL 25 or even 50 is easier then 10, depending on what type of player you are I guess. Just what I've found from personal experience.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I consider myself a decent player at NLHE, I usually win at my home games that I play but when I play online at .05/.1 I feel like the beginner players act so irrationally that I find it very difficult to beat them. They chase everything and always seem to hit.

Should I consider moving up a step in the limits or will it not matter at microstakes?

Am I not as good as I think I am (very possible) or are these games just very difficult to beat?

Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

You really need to play in a very simplistic way, and maybe there are some ideas you don't apply well yet.
You have to play aware of position, considering pot odds, only chasing with favorable odds and chasing with the best draw, knowing how to play different stack sizes, etc

If you can't beat NL10 after 20K hands for at least 4PTBB that means u still got a lot to learn. Prove yourself you know how to play and that you are disciplined enough. However NL10 is a place where you will be doing stuff thats very profitable only there, so you have to adjust. TPTK is very good and is worth going in with, AK pf is almost like the nuts, etc... see how horrendous the play is and adjust to their hand ranges. Only move up if you have developed the proper bankroll.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are microstakes beatable?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Not unless you run very hot. The game doesn't really get beatable until you move to 3/6 IMO, where people are playing much more rationally and not cramping your style with their mistakes.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4PTBB

[/ QUOTE ]

People still use this term?! How disappointing.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Not unless you run very hot. The game doesn't really get beatable until you move to 3/6 IMO, where people are playing much more rationally and not cramping your style with their mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just so wrong in so many ways. I hope it's sarcastic.

First of all, to beat ANY game in the long run requires running hot for long periods of time. But that's probably not what you meant.

I'm not going to rehash the arguments because they're in 1000 different FAQs to be found by those who seek them. I'll just say the only reason why low-limits MIGHT be unbeatable would be the rake (e.g. at B&M - 10% to $4 + $1 BBJ + $1 tip), but I don't really believe this to be the case.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is nonsense. I went from 50$* to 2500$ (I had a bigger bankroll, but went from that at one site building another bankroll while I didn't want to play higher because of a downswing) in 70K hands. The only thing I did was being disciplined enough to play that low while trying to play my best, and recognizing bad play by myself.