Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Are microstakes beatable?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...(a few with PTracker will catch on after a while, but if they were that smart they wouldn't be using PTracker in the micros LOL)...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually said that with .01/.02 in mind, it always seemed silly to me that guys are spending $80 for PT and PAHUD to play for .02 blinds. In any case, the better players are moving out of there quickly.

I'm not suggesting anyone play NL25 or whatever without PT.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally like tables with a high % to the flop, small pots, and lots of hands/hr.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've not heard anybody say they prefer smaller pots. Does this mean you do better against loose passive players? Wouldn't you make more by playing LAG's at tables with high % to flop plus big pots or does this just lower your variance?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:38 PM

move up to 200nl or 400nl where this doesnt happen.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I consider myself a decent player at NLHE, I usually win at my home games that I play but when I play online at .05/.1 I feel like the beginner players act so irrationally that I find it very difficult to beat them. They chase everything and always seem to hit.

Should I consider moving up a step in the limits or will it not matter at microstakes?

Am I not as good as I think I am (very possible) or are these games just very difficult to beat?

Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are playing 100bb or deeper microstacks with players that really are this bad, then just tighten up and nut peddle. It's boring, but you'll make money as a set farmer if the opposition thinks any top pair is the nuts. And if you think you're a "TAG," but you don't have PokerTracker, then I bet that you are a lot looser than you think. Get PT, watch your statistics, and post questionable hands in the 2+2 forums.

And as for bad players always chasing and always catching their draws, I think you'll find that, on average, they catch flush draws about 9 out of 47 times on the turn when they have 4 to a flush, and then about 9 out of 46 times on the river if they didn't catch on the turn.

I think you probably aren't playing as well as you think you are. Tighten up. Play good cards fast. Earn a nice, small, consistent win rate, like 3BB/100 for 100K+ hands, then move up and repeat. If you win more, well that's nice. But 3BB/100 is just fine too. Even 2BB/100 will earn you enough to move up pretty quickly.

Whatever you do, don't move up because you expect to do better when you start playing the better player at the higher level. It just doesn't work that way.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
move up to 200nl or 400nl where they respect your raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

this thread is funny
Old 08-23-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Earn a nice, small, consistent win rate, like 3BB/100 for 100K+ hands, then move up and repeat. If you win more, well that's nice. But 3BB/100 is just fine too. Even 2BB/100 will earn you enough to move up pretty quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mostly agree with this, it's certainly true at most limits.

However, if we're talking NL25 or below I'd recommend getting your winrate to about 5-6 bb/100 (at a minimum) before moving up.

2-3 bb/100 might be decent for NL200, but that kind of winrate at, say, NL10 would suggest there are still some problems even with the fundamentals. Fewer leaks than the average player there, but leaks just the same.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hmmm, its hands like those that make you want to QUIT poker? It's hands like those that make the rest of us keep playing poker

[/ QUOTE ]

qft...i took this beat myself today but then quickly realized all the times they miss and i win the POT.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hand like this that make me want to quit poker. I was having a very nice session going.

Yes I could have raised more pre-flop, or on the flop, but I think the outcome would have been the same.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 8 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $10.45
BB: $9.05
UTG: $2.40
UTG+1: $2.85
MP1: $9.60
MP2: $2.30
CO: $11.00
Hero (BTN): $14.80

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8 Players)
2 folds, MP1 calls $0.10, MP2 folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $0.30</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.00</font>, 2 folds, MP1 calls $0.90, CO calls $0.70

Flop: ($3.15) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
MP1 checks, <font color="red">CO bets $1.90</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4.00</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls $2.10

Turn: ($11.15) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">CO bets all-in for $6.00</font>, Hero calls $6.00

River: ($23.15) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $23.15 ($2 Rake)

CO had 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Fours) and WON (+$10.15)
Hero had K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (two pair, Kings and Fours) and LOST (-$11.00)

[/ QUOTE ]
you're the one that screws up this hand tbh. make it more pf and make the reraise on flop at least 3X original bet (in fact i usually just push here)
beating 10NL is just about the easiest thing on this planet, dont bluff, dont slowplay, be patient and play tight.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:07 AM

Exploiting mistakes is how you win - so how does it get easier to beat the game if your opponents don't make any?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I personally like tables with a high % to the flop, small pots, and lots of hands/hr.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've not heard anybody say they prefer smaller pots. Does this mean you do better against loose passive players? Wouldn't you make more by playing LAG's at tables with high % to flop plus big pots or does this just lower your variance?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just a personal preference for me at the moment as I want to get as much practice as possible, playing loose passive players as I expect this is what I will see (for the most part) until I move up quite a bit (I'm currently playing NL5 and occasionally NL10 now).