Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 08:25 AM

Default Tens out of position

Villain is 46/0/0.42

Early he flat called a raise OOP with AK and donk be me on two streets with AK as overcards on a dry board. Any suggestions to playing this one?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $99.90
BB: $101.90
UTG: $32.50
Hero (MP): $192.10
CO: $98.50
BTN: $89.40

Preflop: Hero is dealt T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG calls $1, <font color="red">Hero raises to $5.00</font>, CO folds, BTN calls $5.00, SB calls $4.50, BB folds, UTG calls $4.00

Flop: ($21) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $10.00</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">Hero?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Tens out of position

After the 2 checks, find out where you stand.
Bet 3/4 pot or pot and you avoid this situation.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:44 AM

i think you have to cbet this flop

as played i think we have to take one off given the betsize
Old 08-15-2007, 08:54 AM

call
Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 AM

I see what you mean about cbetting the flop. But a flat call, if I do this what's the plan of the turn? c/c, c/f? Not made any eaiser as I'm OOP.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:21 AM

given history, as played, call.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:44 AM

Here's the standard:

I agree with the flop check in a multiway pot like this. A CB here puts us in a terrible position later on the in the hand since when called, we will have bloated the pot to about 50BB with a very mediocre hand. Any sizable bet later on in the hand by any callers will really put a lot of pressure we can't take with TT on this board.

I'd need a pretty good read on his post-flop tendencies to check/call this flop. A good portion of the deck is going to look bad to our hand on the turn/river.

Fold after the button drooler bets.

Here's the adventurous:

In my opinion the type of player I'm envisioning is never going to show up with a draw here. It will be air, or some made hand. Fortunately, our hand is ahead of most made hands on this board (small-mid PP, occasional 2/3), but behind the ever popular top pair and overpairs. However, he's not likely going to slow down unless the spade draw hits, so as to "protect" his made hand against our "draw", which makes our hand even more difficult to play.

Since we figure he's going to bet at least two streets with the majority of his range, we can determine our effective odds are considerably worse than the pot odds he's laying us on the flop. Since he's a donkey, let's say he doubles his bet to $20 on a non-spade turn. That reduces our effective odds to 1.7:1 (51:30). Using those odds as a reference, you can compare them against the equity your hand has against his supposed range. Unfortunately, I am not in a position that I can run the numbers myself. However, intuition tells me that it's probably a slightly +EV calldown when you throw a few air hands (like the AK he played earlier) into his range.